A place for concentration, privacy, and deliberate single-tasking. The focused writing of dedicated writing apps plus a page-turning reading experience.
NOTE: If you ever encounter sync issues with iCloud or see the "Loading..." screen, try the fixes here: http://bit.ly/sync-help
Keep a set of journals for everything you write. Easy backups and export options protect your writing. Quick search helps you find things fast, even if you write every day, year after year.
- With iCloud sync, your writing is on all of your devices automatically.
- Need bold, italics, or headings? Try the Markdown feature, and give your plaintext some style.
- Your writing is fully searchable and search remains fast even with years of heavy writing.
- Backup and export options; you should never have to worry about losing memories.
- Create notebooks as needed
- Fast search by word, phrase, date
- Set writing reminders
- Passcode lock for privacy
- Autosave and undo support
- More than a dozen fonts, 3 of them custom
- Adjust font size, shade, and screen brightness
- Select notebooks and mail their contents
- Single entry export
- Support for printing entries
- Copy a single entry to the pasteboard as text or HTML
- Automatic backups if using Dropbox
- Use iCloud to keep your journal on all your devices
- Supports Markdown and renders inline
- Keyboard keys for moving the cursor with ease
- Works with external Bluetooth keyboards
- Insert timestamps into your writing - you can pick the timestamp format!
- Clean, fullscreen reading layout
- Flip the page, read naturally
- Adjust the date format at the top of the page
- Easy on the eyes; increase the font size as needed
- Universal app runs on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Retina ready
- iCloud keeps your writing updated everywhere
- Backup to Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing
- Automatic backups with Dropbox
- Can import backup files from the original Chronicle and Chapters apps
Choosing a journal, a cradle for your thoughts, can be difficult. The original Chronicle for iPad (read about it in Dr. Mac's Incredible iPad Apps book!) has a few more fun features and supports photos. This version focuses on writing, nice typography, Markdown, and automatic backups. You can import your writing from the original Chronicle for iPad easily. My goal is to make sure you can look back on what you write years from now, so getting data in and out of the app is easy.
Every copy comes with great personal support. I'm happy to help.
Need photos? The focused writing and reading of Chronicle 2 may not be for you; instead, take a look at the original Chronicle for iPad.
- Fixed a crash that happened when paging beyond first or last page in iOS 6
- Fixed a bug related to undo while editing
- Fixed an autosave issue
- Fixed an authentication bug that affected users without the Dropbox app
Ratings and Reviews
Refused to save my documents
I kept several different journals on this app, and when i switched phones, i decided to redownload it and manually recreate the journals (by emailing them to myself). As a side note, it would have been nice to have simply been able to import them. I recreated a journal and added three entries to it. The next time i opened the app, the entire journal was gone, as well as a few entries from other journals i had previously created. Thank God i still have the emailed files, so only the entries i wrote after that were permanently lost. I had a few glitches like this with the app on my old phone (entries that sometimes refused to save changes, and defaulted back to original versions) but i never had an entire journal disappear, and entries had never disappeared days after being written. Very disappointed - dont download if you want to be able to return to your work.
Love it, but tags would be helpful!
Love the app to collect random thoughts, write poetry and my journal.
I wish however that it would be possible to add tags to entries so its easier to find and filter notes. It would also be good to be able to move notes from one notebook to another. Other than that I love the simplicity of the app!! Thanks.
Wish I Could Bold or Underline
I've been using this app for some time now, and really enjoy it. I try to write every day. I love the search feature. It's very easy to search for a word or name, and it brings up all the days in previous journaling where I've used those words or names. I really wish there was a button to underline and bold text. Some words need more emphasis than others!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.