Chunky Comic Reader
By Michael Ferenduros
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Try an app that makes your comics look great, makes reading them a pleasure, and takes all the friction out of importing and managing them.
• Ultra clean and simple to use
• Smart upscaling makes even low-res comics look great
• Auto contrast/tint fixes yellow pages and faded ink
• Self-organising library - just drop in your comics and go
• Download comics in the background while you read, directly from your cloud file-storage service or the web
• Upgrade to pro, and download from your PC, Mac or NAS as well
• Parental controls let you flag specific comics as ok, and passcode-lock everything else out of sight
• Single-page or two-up page view
• Right-to-left reading mode
• Post screenshots directly to Twitter, Facebook, or Reddit
Chunky supports CBZ, CBR and PDF comics, and understands ComicRack and ComicBookLover tags.
It can browse and download directly from iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Transporter, Google Drive, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Box, Pogoplug, Mediafire and Copy, and you can copy files in and out with iTunes on your computer or download them via the built-in web browser.
Upgrade to Pro and it'll also connect to Mac or Windows shared folders, FTP or SFTP servers, ComicStreamer, Calibre or Ubooquity libraries, and run a mini web-server you can use to copy files in and out.
What's New in Version 2.4.4
The last update was a bit crashy, especially for Dropbox users. This one should fix that.
• Amazon Cloud Drive support
• Touch ID support in the parental lock
• Rotation-lock button for those that want it (enabled from the advanced settings menu)
• The usual grab-bag of fixes for crashes, glitches, annoyances and trivia
The app's been doing great recently, and that's almost entirely down to you lovely people spreading the word, telling friends and leaving reviews/ratings. Thank you, it's much appreciated :)
This app is the best comic reader that is out there, oh I have tried. Comics look gorgeous and sharp, lots of useful options. And all that is in the FREE version. In the pro version you can directly download your comics from your computer via folder share. I have lots of comics on my Mac and it takes A LOT of time to upload them to my google drive account (or iCloud or whatever) but this lets me download them immediately, did I forget to mention that it's super fast?
I just wish I had more options in viewing the titles and dragging the comics around to rearrange them as I please like iBooks. If this is done,,, words won't be enough to describe the greatness of this app. Defiantly worth the purchase
This is hands-down the best comic reading app for iPads (and in general as far as I'm concerned). Just about every detail of the app is customizable. Want the pages to be zoomed in to the width of the screen (always)? No problem. Want the left hand margin to advance a page? Sure thing. Want two pages to be displayed at a time? You got it. Even without the pro upgrade (which you should get, even if you aren't thinking of using any of the features, to support this fantastic developer), the app is still very customizable. Also, the little jokes that are in the app are pretty great. Please don't remove them!
Great Comics Reader!
Chunky is a great app with one big feature that sets itself apart from all others: the ability to access your comics from a shared folder or via FTP. Other comic readers require you to manually drag and drop or sync through iTunes. Chunky lets you simply browse through your files on your network and download them. It's great to be able to sit wherever I want and know the the next issue is literally at my fingertips. It also has an attractive and easy interface for browsing the comics on your device and navigation through the pages is smooth. Totally worth the pruchase.