SEE the light: Cine Meter gives you an RGB waveform monitor and a false-color picture in addition to a cine-style, shutter-priority reflected light meter, using the camera in your iPhone / iPod / iPad.
• The light meter shows you your stop as a decimal value (such as f/5.0, good for cameras with EVF iris readouts) or as a full stop and fraction (like f/4.0 ⅔, good for cine lenses with marked iris rings). You can calibrate Cine Meter to match other meters to a tenth of a stop.
• The waveform monitor shows you how light levels vary across a scene. You'll see how smooth and even the lighting is on a greenscreen or background, and find subtle hotspots and shadows at a glance. The waveform’s RGB mode shows you color imbalances in the image and gives you a handy way to check color purity and separation for chroma-keying.
• The false-color mode lets you define allowable contrast ranges, and see instantly which shadows are underexposed and what highlights risk clipping.
READ BEFORE YOU BUY:
Cine Meter is NOT a color-temperature meter; it can't measure white balance.
It's NOT a flash meter; it can't measure strobes.
It's designed solely for cine/video work and isn't optimized for still photography; for example, it's shutter-priority only.
Cine Meter gives you *absolute* light meter readings, but *relative* picture and waveform monitor levels:
1) Cine Meter’s picture and waveform monitor do not use the *exact* exposure shown by the light meter (they are close to the meter reading, but can differ from it slightly). The picture and waveform monitor show you *relative* levels within a scene, not *absolute* levels based on the meter reading.
2) You can't *preset* exposure or color temperature in Cine Meter. To compare exposures and colors, you lock Cine Meter’s auto-exposure and auto-white-balance settings while looking at a known good reference, such as a gray card. The picture and waveform monitor then show you levels and colors relative to your locked settings.
See http://www.adamwilt.com/cinemeter/details.html#How_It_Works for details.
(Why am I telling you this? I would rather have you understand these limitations up-front and not buy Cine Meter, than have you buy Cine Meter unaware of them and be disappointed.)
• Improved error handling when no mail account is found for sending feedback.
Ratings and Reviews
A must have for indie work
Why is this app essential? Because at some point in your progress as a cinematographer you reach the stage of giving your footage a filmic look through controlling lighting. It's all about key to fill and key to background lighting ratios. It's about knowing how to expose properly for skin. It requires looking at dynamic range.
This app helps in so very many ways. I don't turn on a camera until I've spent at least 15 min walking around the setup.
Top notch job in this app!
I was on a film commercial shoot when an AC sent me the link to this app. The director, gaffer and I downloaded it and compared it to both meter readings and dailies. This is not a gimmick or toy but a really accurate light meter! For 4.99 you'd be foolish not have this on your phone in case your meter battery dies or your scouting or just curious what a beautiful moment would meter at.
Would love to see footcandles added.
You Need This APP!!
Absolutely incredible! Wilt has done an exceptional job in the creation of this app. For the most part - it is ‘spot’ on! Having a waveform monitor in your pocket, well… that’s like too cool! Next time you are out in the field with your engineer, pull this out and watch them whimper wishing they had one. Then - tell them the price and you’ll be their hero!
- Adam Wilt
- 2.9 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014-2017 Adam J. Wilt
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.