By Blue Mango Learning Systems
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Clarify isn’t just another screenshot application, it is a communication tool. If all you want to do is take single screenshots, there are cheaper (or free) utilities that will do you what you need. But if you need to communicate more clearly in less time, Clarify can help.
The folks who love Clarify are using it when they need two or more images to:
• Explain a process
• Communicate changes they’d like designers/developers to make
• Submit bug reports
• Provide answers that consist of several steps
Clarify streamlines the workflow of capturing multiple screenshots, organizing them into a document, marking up the images, adding text, and sharing your document as a PDF, Word file, or on the Web.
Clarify lets you:
• Capture one or more screenshots and/or import one or more images (e.g. pictures and screenshots)
• Mark the images with annotations such as arrows, circles, blur, sequence, highlight, and text
• Add titles and paragraph text for each image
• Share your document via email, PDF, Word, Dropbox, Evernote, WordPress, or Clarify-it.com
“LOVE Clarify. Took me 3 minutes to do what would usually take 30 minutes! Clients are happy, which makes me happy!!” - @zolihonig
“BRILLIANT: @clarifyapp is the hottest screen steps tool ever.” - Sara Deutsch, Salesforce MVP
“@clarifyapp is terrific. I’d suggest taking it for a spin. I use it for all of my documentation.” - @macsamurai
“Used @clarifyapp to make pre-workshop instructions for our workshop on Apple Deployment at #macitconf” - @arekdreyer
“Loving the Clarify App. Makes doing quick user guides SO quick!” - @benhamilton
• Capture windows or regions
• Import photos or other image files
• Organize multiple images or screen captures into a document
• Add multiple images to a step (new feature)
• Reorder screen captures/images via drag and drop
• Replace images without messing up your formatting
• Crop and resize images
• Mark up images with arrows, boxes, circles, text annotations, and sequence
• Blur out sensitive information or highlight important areas
• Export to PDF, Word, WordPress, Evernote, HTML, Markdown, or Dropbox
• Copy and paste content as rich text to any word processor that accepts rich text
• Add borders of picture frames
• Export individual images or all images in a document
• Include embed for videos hosted on YouTube, Wistia, etc.
What's New in Version 2.0.5
•Added [[YYYY]] as a date variable to PDF templates.
•Added a space between the "#" and the document title in the Markdown exporter.
•There was no way to change the article title text color other than CSS if you were displaying it in the main document body (using CSS). Now changing the header text color also changes the article title text color as that setting affects the article title color when being displayed in the header.
•Fixed a slow down in typing that would occur as you added more text to a step instructions.
•Fixed an error that would occur when trying to export to Evernote. It appears that Evernote added some new data when authenticating with a Business account (TTYPE_MAP).
•When capturing an image to the clipboard, the density information was not being stored. This would cause problems when pasting into an app on high resolution monitors.
•Clarify no longer crashes when using dictation on OS X.
•Typing URLs enclosed in " or ' would add a hyperlink. No hyperlink should be added in this case.
•Scrollbars were not being displayed in the PDF template custom CSS field when a template was first loaded.
•Dragging a step with substeps into another step that was contracted could cause rendering issues in the step tree.
•Removed some incorrect meta info from Word templates.
Good, with a few snags
Is anyone still updating this program?
I recently bought it because it seems to be the only of its kind, and the format is extremely useful. I'm in product development and often need to prepare clear instructions for other people--no other program makes it quite as easy as Clarify. That being said, it does seem sluggish at times, as one of the other reviewer's commented, and when I export to PDF it frequently fails to scale each step to fit on the same page, even though I checked the image auto-scale option. The result is a beautiful document with clear instructions that looks just a little off. I would also suggest being able to expand or shrink text size with the manual resizing of the text window (like in Skitch).
Aside from those two things, I have no complaints! Thank you for making such a cool product!
Why is it so sluggish?
I want to love this version. I really like the 1.x of this app but this 2.x is sluggish. Yet nothing is wrong with my computer, a 2.3 GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and a big SSD. All other apps run silky smooth. But scrolling up and down in this app makes my machine feel broken. I hope the developer can fix this in an update.