Clean Writer Pro
By Cognitive Bits
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
A distraction-free minimalist writing tool designed for writers, journalists and creative people.
* Just the right features, when you need them*
* IMPORTANT *
If on first start Clean Writer Pro seems not top open, that's because it doesn't create any blank documents by default. You'll need to create a new file (menu bar File->New or Cmd+N keyboard shortcut), or open an existing file (menu File->Open or drag-drop a document on the Clean Writer Pro icon in the doc).
Subsequent starts will reopen previously opened files, so there won't be such confusions again.
Clean Writer Pro is NOT a standard text editor. Its minimalist interface enables you to focus on writing, unchaining your creativity and liberating your inspiration.
* Great features for effective writers *
Clean Writer Pro hides complex options or eliminates unneeded ones, so you can focus on the real work. No individual font change, custom alignment or advanced formatting. Extra options stay carefully hidden, leaving you alone with your words.
Minimalist interface. Full-screen writing. Multiple color themes and font options. Rich text editing with basic text formatting. Live Markdown preview. Paragraph fade mode. Live counters. and more
* The right tool for the right task*
Clean Writer Pro is not a swiss-knife, but a sharp single-purpose tool, small memory, quick to launch, easy to use, fast and effective. It is also powerful and flexible enough to help you in 90% of your writing needs.
Use it to unleash your imagination and beat writer's block. Once you’re done writing your novels, poems or blog posts, you might want other software to reformat, layout and prepare your work for publishing. That's ok. Clean Writer Pro’s purpose was fulfilled: to help unchain your creativity.
Many features available and custom options. Please read the included Help or check out our website.
Partial feature list:
- OSX Lion only, allowing us to improve performance and stability
- OSX Lion full screen minimalist writing mode for uninterrupted writing
- OSX Lion document autosave and versioning
- color themes - B/W, dark grey on light grey, W/B, hacker and more (see advanced tips on our website)
- paragraph focus mode - fades away all paragraphs except the current one, allowing you to focus on the current phrase.
- Markdown preview - converts the current file to HTML using Markdown syntax and previews it in a pop up
- Markdown-to-HTML copy - copy the HTML result to the clipboard, ready to be pasted to your blog, email or website
- Live counters - the counters at the bottom show the number of words, characters, unwrapped hard lines and current line number
- Customizable: power users can override Clean Writer Pro presets to add custom colors, fonts, paragraph indents, text transparency and more. Take a look at the advanced command line commands on the official web page
* Files *
In addition to plain text editing(recommended for maximum compatibility and platform independence), Clean Writer Pro allows importing of multiple common document formats. Take note that some formatting will be lost or ignored.
* Preferences *
Commands have both keyboard shortcuts and menu items in the menu(accessible also in fullscreen). Common commands use standard OSX shortcuts. Check out the Help (Detailed shortcut list can be found in the Help.
Some user reviews:
Ingo Berger, Germany: "Even though I already got iA Writer, I prefer Clean Writer Pro. It is the more flexible app"
Nick, United Kingdom
"The entire application feels smooth, natural and very comfortable. The best of the bunch in my opinion."
"Excellent text editor, simple and functional, with only the necessary writing functions... I haven't found anything better for taking notes, though I tried and changed at least 10 different apps"
What's New in Version 1.3
* improved stability, fixed formatting bar and blurred text issues
* rich text mode now allows creation of lists (a feature many of you requested)
* word/char counters for the selected text (if any)
* improved markdown preview
* fixed file saving issues and improved usability
* added extra hiding options for formatting and file type buttons. Now everything can be made invisible.
* improved Markdown css for better legibility
* new page width available: full width
* cleaner help
* minor settings added: hide preferences button, type of default new file; re-added menu item for showing/hiding formatting buttons; fixed scrollbars hiding
Clean, simple, effective writing app.
I like that the app has a minimal amount of settings to customize the environment to my liking. I was looking at iA Writer and one of the complaints I kept reading about was it's lack of settings. CleanWriter has it's settings neatly tucked away under a little cog icon in the upper right corner of the editor window. The fade paragraph feature is nice, it keeps you focused on what you're currently writing. It's also one of the options you can chose to change if you want. You can hide or show most of the features of the app through the settings. I like that there a few themes to choose from when writing.
I have been running into a problem with saving and auto-save on my Mac running Mountain Lion. While it's a problem the real reason for bringing it up is to bring attention to the great customer service received while dealing with it. I've receive prompt and friendly responses Alex at CognitiveBits indicating that the problem is being addressed. If I wasn't having the save issue I'd give this 5 Stars.
Overall I really like the app and would recommend it to others.
Nice concept, but buggy
Nice concept; I particularly like paragraph fade mode. Where other minimalist writing apps I own (e.g., WriteRoom) tend only work well in full screen, this gives the minimalist experience in a window. Useful if you need to reference stuff in other windows, but still focus on what you're writing.
The problem is that it's really, really buggy - the first line of text doesn't is often hidden and doesn't scroll into view, the menu buttons randomly don't display, the typewriter click misses keystrokes, all that in just in the first 15 minutes of use(!) Hopefully all this will get cleaned up in a future version.
Bare Bones Fact...
This truly is a bare-bone program. It's perfect if you don't need or want a bunch of hoopla on your screen. But that is also where the dilemma is. This program does not give you the ability to zoom in if you have difficulties seeing small print. Only way to increase the print size is to increase the font. But if you're not careful, you could end up submitting a paper or story in excessive print size.
If you need to clear your screen of clutter, this is the program for you. If you need any bells or whistles, then keep looking. This program truly is bare.