The inexpensive minimalist distraction-free plain text editor that boosts your creativity by putting the focus on WRITING. As seen on PCWorld, MacWorld, Copyblogger and TheNextWeb.
* PCWorld.com : "One of the best bargains in iPad-based text editing"
* MacWorld: "Clean Writer ... has quickly become my favorite way to write on the iPad"
* Copyblogger.com : "Hats off to the developers for creating something writers can use"
* TheNextWeb.com : "Clean Writer... provides almost identical features as Writer, at a fraction of the cost"
SOLID PLAIN TEXT WRITING
* different choices of color schemes & global font
* uncluttered UI with gestures - pinch font zoom, tap for quick jump to start/end of text, swipes for File & Preferences panels
* extended keyboard row with user-definable shortcuts
* preview and convert markdown
* live counter of chars, words and lines
* autosaves files when needed but also on demand; intelligent file names defaults preventing accidents
* access your cloud plain text files with Dropbox integration
THE FIRST iPAD DISTRACTION-FREE TEXT EDITOR
In 2010 Clean Writer was the first distraction-free plain text editor for iPad. Now it's reborn, redesigned and improved with a new UI, gesture-driven workflow, options hidden from sight, color themes and more.
The app only handles plain text files (.txt, .md, .html, etc) and will NOT open .doc, .rtf or .pdf. It conveniently hides such files when browsing Dropbox folders, to prevent mistakes. (If you need access to non plain text documents, you first need to export them as plain text from Word, Pages, Text Edit or other document processing software).
* minor improvements for accessibility
* several UI tweaks
Ratings and Reviews
Useless without OneDrive access
All of my files—business and personal—are on OneDrive. Not only does the app not provide access to my OneDrive files, I can't even open them on OneDrive. The problem with paid apps is that you find these things out after the purchase, when there is no possibility of a refund. Buyer beware.
If you don't need OneDrive access, then, as a plain text editor, the app is probably with what you will pay for it.
Very good, basic writing tool.
This is a great, straightforward writing tool for anyone interested in getting down their work with minimal interface and no frills and, in my opinion, its probably the best text editor style writing program on the store right now. The format it saves in has given a few people problems, but since I use WordPad for most of my basic text saving and conversion needs, I was very happy that the format actually opens fine in WordPad and includes the formatting without having convert the file. There's other, decent, bare-bones writing apps out there (some at no charge), but this is the first one I've used where the file saved into my Drop box without hassle and in a format that was readable in both plain text and WordPad without any issues, which is a big plus for me. If all you want is a solid program meant for getting down your ideas with some basic formatting options but nothing else special or distracting, I recommend clean writer quite a bit.
Good app if your not looking to replace Pages or Word
Cleantext does just what it says it does which is provide a very minimalistic writing environment. It has either white background or black background which is nice for the eyes, but very few other features. In some ways this is its best feature. The app is very fast and just seems to zip along when compared to many other apps.
For it to be a five star app, though, it needs a better way to get the documents out of the iPad with say, Drop Box sync or MobileMe sync. As of now, the iTunes sync is awful and this app can only export this way or via the cumbersome and antiquated copy and paste into email method.
Also, a green text option for the black background would really be an eye saver. I look at computers all day long and green on black is just so soothing compared to a painful, piercing white. The new fonts in the update are a good step forward. Over all...nice if you are into the whole minimalism thing. if not, skip it.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.