CleverDeck uses spaced repetition algorithms to make learning much more efficient and longer-lasting. Tell the app whether or not you remember something by swiping cards right or left. CleverDeck schedules your reviews for you, while giving you new cards each day.
CleverDeck is especially useful for language learners who want an efficient way to learn vocabulary. CleverDeck includes 3000-word decks for most major languages. Decks were created with the help of teachers and language professionals and include high-quality, hand-picked imagery, native-speaker audio, example sentences, and transliterations. Decks are customizable so you can study words as you discover them in your daily life - or you can use the default order, roughly organized by frequency.
CleverDeck can also be used to create completely custom decks and cards. Use CleverDeck to study anything: medical terminology, the periodic table, trivia, and everything else that fits on a card. Cards can include four fields, an image, and audio.
Other CleverDeck features include:
- Sync between devices.
- Customize card display to create audio or image-only cards
- Study cards in multiple ways using siblings
- Customize the spaced repetition algorithm
- Edit our cards to use your own sentences or images
- Create "three-sided" cards to, for example, quiz yourself on foreign language sentences.
- Prioritize cards by category.
- Cache future content if you're planning a trip.
- Visualize your progress and view stats on your retention.
- Quick and very personal support (I'm an indie developer and emails go straight to my inbox.)
CleverDeck is always free for you to create your own decks and cards. An auto-renewable subscription is required for unlimited access to CleverDeck's premium content. The app contains a freemium model that should let you decide whether it's worth paying for.
CleverDeck subscriptions are auto-renewable which means that once purchased they will be auto-renewed within 24 hours prior to the end of the subscription period. You can subscribe to CleverDeck for one month or one year terms. CleverDeck subscriptions provide full access to all of CleverDeck's premium content (lifting the 100 card limit of the free version). Your iTunes Account will continue to be charged until you cancel the subscription at least 24 hours before period end. You can manage or cancel your subscriptions by going to your Account Settings on your device. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at the confirmation of your purchase.
For terms of service, please visit http://cleverdeck.com/tos/.
Fixed bug that was breaking api calls. Other minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I was looking for an app like this because I was intrigued with spaced repetition. I also like how you can opt for what you want to see on the front and back of the cards, for instance when I learn language I like to just hear The word to acquire it by listening before I try to delve into speaking and reading. This app allows me to set it up that way. And then later I could reset the deck and set it up to see the English prompt, then try to speak it from recall.
I wish I could just buy the app and be done with the purchase, because I’m using one and my son is using one and that’s costing six dollars per month now, three dollars each. One glitch that I notified the developer about is that when I slide the category to change settings for that category (example, Spanish), sometimes it is for a different category (example, French). Then other times, it is in sync.
Great app, really helpful
This app is great. Having a solid way to memorize vocabulary has really improved my conversational Spanish. The only improvements I would make are:
1. Differentiate between words from Spain versus Latin America. The translation isn’t always accurate.
2. There should be a way to test your command of the words by quizzing yourself via doing the flash cards backwards. What do I mean by that? Instead of always seeing a word in English and having to provide the Spanish answer, let me see and hear the word in Spanish then have to provide the English word. Just a way to ensure you know the word front and back.
3. I wish I could access ALL of the words that I’ve “mastered” as well as the ones I’m learning. It’d be nice to be able to quiz myself on every word I’ve covered thus far instead of only seeing the words that arrive by way of the algorithm.
4. Get new languages. I wanted to improve my English vocab and wasn’t very impressed w the word list.
Other than those recommendations I think this app is great. Please update app according to the reviews.
Hi Jason! Thanks for the great review! I think you're feedback is also spot-on and I'll work hard to improve the app.
1. Sorry about that! If you ever see a problem, feel free to report a problem by long-pressing a card.
2. You can kind of do this right now by configuring siblings: http://cleverdeck.com/manual/siblings/. Granted, it can be a little awkward and isn't super flexible, so I'll see what I can do to improve this.
3. "Mastered" cards never get removed from your study loop (i.e. you'll see them again eventually), but I can see how more ways to "review on demand" would be valuable.
4. The English deck currently on CleverDeck is specifically for preparing for the SAT and GRE, so I can see why you didn't find it ideal. I'm going to be adding English for Japanese and Chinese speakers soon. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any specific language requests!
Thanks again for spending time to write this really helpful review. I appreciate it :)
Great Little App
Personally, I love this app. I have been a fan of this app since the previous versions. My only complaint is that I think it is too expensive for yearly subscription $27-36/ yr depending on subscription method. I personally preferred the old method of one time purchases to increase your card deck size.
I would like to see games added to increase enjoyment and maybe add phrases sentences as flash cards instead of combined on the new words. I’m not convinced this does much having it on the same card. My last wish is to see tips, explanations, conjugation, etc so we can be more immersed in the language.
Great app though!
- Tea Time, Inc.
- 16.1 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Japanese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 TeaTime, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- CleverDeck Premium Month $2.99
- CleverDeck Pro $26.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.