The German non-profit organisation 'Neue Wege des Lernens e. V.' supports schools in digital learning initiatives. This includes the production of digital learning assets and apps for educational use, particularly for non-STEM classes and subjects. We have a particularly strong commitment to supporting cultural Film Education with digital tools. The App "Close-up" provides clear and concise definitions of essential film language terms used in basic and advanced film courses. Though geared for use in high school (particular sixth forms) and higher education the glossary is appropriate for anyone generally interested in cinema, film and film analysis. The Close-Up Film Language Glossary contains a unique collection of 'Visual markers', which are visualizations of filmic means and techniques. Groups of visual markers provide a quick and comprehensive overview of important categories of film language. Additionally a collection of useful checklists which help you analyzing the different aspects of film language in classroom study or when writing a film studies essay can be obtained separately from within the app.
The Close-Up Film Language Glossary places particular emphasis on the topics composition and color in movies.
Film language categories with visual markers:
Mise en Scène
Point of view
Pace and time
- More than 370 linked entries for Film studies
- 80 unique Visual markers visualize the core ideas of filmic means and techniques
- A collection of 17 checklists and counters support a formal analysis of film excerpts or motion stills available for In-App-Purchase
- Graphics help to improve the understandings of technical terms
- Favorite function allows each user to store their favorite or essential terms for fast access
- Fast and comprehensive search function provides easy access to the technical terms (even if only a part of a technical term is known)
- Text and pictures can be copied to the clipboard for citation purposes and use in other programs (e.g. for writing an essay)
- A special view of Visual markers allow for visual search of technical terms
- Clean, uncluttered interface
- No internet connection required
With kind support of Schöningh Verlag, Jühenplatz 1-3, 33098 Paderborn, Germany.
Support for new iOS devices.
Ratings and Reviews
What it says it is, no ads and free
Love little apps like this, would definitely buy a beer for these guys.
It would be handy though to be able to swipe side to side in the definition page of a word to go to the next indexed word for those who are brushing up on their filming vocab.
Thanks you guys!
Great app. I looked around for something like it and this is by far the best available.
Beautiful thank you. Been using it religiously.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.