CloudSpotter – See the Sky with New Eyes and Discover the Fantastic World of Clouds
By Cloud Appreciation Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* * Featured on the Wall Street Journal, BBC, The Guardian, TED, VICE Motherboard • Won Editors' Choice Award from PCMagazine * *
* * Looking up will never be the same again! Discover the amazing and unexpected world of clouds with CloudSpotter, your virtual guide to the wonders of the sky. Unlock Stars and Achievements for each new cloud type you spot, and compete with other CloudSpotters around the world! * *
* * *
From the fluffy Cumulus that form on a sunny day, to the rare Noctilucent clouds that shine from the fringes of space, the fleeting beauty and endless variety of clouds have have always fascinated scientists and daydreamers alike.
Fall in love again with this sense of wonder and dreaminess with CloudSpotter, created by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, bestselling author, winner of the Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books and founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society.
Introducing 40 uniquely different cloud species and light phenomena with hundreds of spectacular photographs and extensive descriptions, CloudSpotter enables you to easily identify and spot them as you look up the sky every day.
Even better yet, CloudSpotter turns cloudspotting into a unique reality-based game by challenging you to earn Stars, unlock Achievement Badges and compete against other CloudSpotters around the world as you build your cloud collection.
A perfect sky-gazing companion for long walks, cross-country road trips or train rides, and above the clouds from the window seat of a plane, where you might even spot the elusive Glory optical effect; a beautiful halo of rainbow colors around your shadow.
* * *
• The CLOUD LIBRARY features 40 unique cloud formations and optical effects, from the common Rainbow to the rare and beautiful Asperitas cloud, with hundreds of stunning photos and all of Gavin's entertaining explanatory notes from the Cloud Collector's Handbook. Learn what makes each formation special, and how to identify the clouds and light phenomena you spot in the sky.
• You win STARS for each new cloud type you successfully spot. The rarer the cloud, the more Stars you earn! Grow your CLOUD COLLECTION and complete special challenges to earn 20 beautiful, hand-drawn CloudSpotter ACHIEVEMENT BADGES.
• Our team of cloud experts carefully verifies each spotting. That’s right, real people will look at your cloud photos to confirm whether you identified them right!
• Collect all 40 cloud formations and complete your CloudSpotter collection with 115 Stars to clear the legendary TRIUMPH IN THE SKIES Achievement.
• Not sure about the kind of cloud or optical effect you see? The unique CLOUD IDENTIFIER makes figuring out what exactly you are spotting a breeze! Just answer a few questions, and CloudSpotter will tell you what exactly you are most likely looking at.
• Compete against your friends and CloudSpotters around the globe: See how well you fare against the growing worldwide community of cloud lovers on the app’s RANKINGS.
• Browse the CLOUDSTREAM, a live feed of weird and wonderful cloud photographs by other CloudSpotters worldwide. Every day, we select our favorite photo and feature it at the top. If one of your photographs is selected, it will earn you the special "Photo of the Day" Achievement Badge. Not an easy get!
* * *
LOVE FOR CLOUDS AND CLOUDSPOTTER:
"I can strongly recommend the app. It's a fun, educational, and challenging tool to help you identify, understand, and appreciate the wide variety of clouds that float above our world." (Tony Hoffman, PCMagazine – Editor Rating: Excellent)
"It makes you stare into the sky and think about what you are seeing. And as you start to understand what each cloud in the sky is, you start to appreciate them more." (Shaun McGill, Lost in Mobile)
"The best part was seeing photos of clouds snapped by other users!" (Tatiana Baez, VICE Motherboard)
* * *
Read more about CloudSpotter and preview our introduction video "The World of Clouds" on CloudSpotterApp.com.
What's New in Version 1.1.0
• Time to clean up the Library! You can now delete spottings, so go on and get rid of any duplicates or embarrassing mistakes (we won't tell anyone that you once submitted a photo of your shoes as a Cumulus cloud).
• Night vision activated! We've enabled camera low light mode for iPhones that support it, and disabled the flash (chances are it wouldn't reach clouds 10,000 feet away). There has never been a better time to spot those Noctilucent clouds!
• Silence speaks louder than beeps: App sounds can now be disabled in Settings.
• The dreaded 111 Error is squashed. Huzzah!
• Much improved compatibility with iOS 8 and iOS 9.
• We've updated all references to the new cloud type, identified with the help of this app. The World Meteorological Organisation are accepting it as a new classification and have slightly changed our 'Asperatus' name to the new official one: 'Asperitas'. History in the making!
• Various text corrections and some clarifications to the cloud identification details.
We won't bug you in the app to leave a review, but if you enjoy CloudSpotter, it would mean so much if you would share this by rating & reviewing the app on the App Store. Thank you!
Like fb.com/CloudSpotterApp or follow @CloudSpotterApp on Twitter to stay up to date with the latest news, and read the FAQ on our website for answers to your most frequent questions and suggestions. Happy cloudspotting!
Wonderful but needs more!
Update the app!!
A truly wonderful app that I am hooked on. I love that there are real people on the other end that confirm or deny pictures. This has hooked some of my high school students on cloud identification as well! One particular student said, "I never knew clouds were so interesting." Thank you for helping make my job easier to spark a love for science.
However, I have some suggestions:
1) I would love to have the ability to see on a map the locations that my photos have been taken.
2) Please include in the future more badge options, like "Spotted in all 50 states" for the US for example, or "Spotted clouds in every daylight hour."
3) Please also include the ability to network/communicate with other people using this app and scrolling through the rankings.
4) It would be great to have the ability to tap on a person you see in the rankings and see their cloud pictures and badges.
Keep up the great work guys and thank you for this one-of-a-kind app!
Educational and fun. Eyes are always on the skies. Looking forward to an update. Would love to see others' clouds and like them.