Clozemaster is gamified language learning through mass exposure to vocabulary in context. Free to sign up and play! Great post-Duolingo app and great complement to language learning at any stage.
- Select the missing word in the sentence to score points.
- Text-to-speech available depending on your device.
- Sign up or sign in to track your progress.
- Over 100 language pairings available with more being added all the time.
- Sentences grouped by difficulty with Fluency Fast Track available for popular languages like Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, and Portuguese, including sentences grouped by JLPT for Japanese and HSK for Chinese.
- Subscribe to Clozemaster Pro https://www.clozemaster.com/pro to favorite sentences, practice your favorites offline, and more!
Clozemaster is still very much a work in progress. If you notice any issues, find any bugs, have any language or feature requests, or there's anything else I can do to improve Clozemaster - please let me know!
- Grammar Challenge support added
- Toggle-able 'off by 1' hints and dynamic text box size for playing text input mode
- Dashboard improvements
- Sound effects volume fix
And other bug fixes and improvements!
Ratings and Reviews
I don’t know how I initially came across Clozemaster, but I’m so glad I did. It is just a random assortment of fill in the blank sentences in a ton of languages (one at a time;), but that’s kind of what you need for language practice once you’ve passed the absolute beginner stage of a language. As other users have said, this isn’t for total beginners. Spanish/Italian/French/German are easy enough to figure out on Clozemaster with limited foundation. Russian, Welsh and Chinese definitely require some outside learning. I never like to say one language app is better than another, because they each do their own thing. Memrise rocks for vocab, Duolingo for sentence forming, Clozemaster for reading comprehension that pushes you to think of the correct missing word. Clozemaster certainly pushes you past the A1 level in comprehension that a lot of apps might stop at, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use other apps in tandem! Thanks for a great app! Please keep pro affordable as you reach out to more and more consumers.
The Best Resource for Vocabulary
I’ve tried many resources in my life as an aspiring polyglot. I speak 4 languages and I wish Clozemaster existed when I first started learning.
It’s *Amazing*. Truly, you won’t find anything that throws you right into the context of a language in a more gentle way. Since you need the “cloze” word to fully understand the sentence, your brain prioritizes the absorption of the words taught, in contrast to flash card methods of learning.
Now that I have Clozemaster, I’ll never struggle with vocabulary again. And it’s fun!
As a side note: realize that Clozemaster probably isn’t best for absolute day one beginners in a language. And it should be used as a complement to other resources for language learning. You want a balance.
I’d recommend learning the first 100 Most Common Words on the app before even clicking the Fluency Fast Track.
Last thing: I’m a pro user (regular is free) and it’s totally worth it. Currently I’m living in Sweden and learning Swedish and the unlimited listening practice (Cloze Listening) is making this a piece of cake. In one week I’ve gone from barely understanding anything, to being able to listen to radio and podcasts with pleasure!
What an amazing app
I wish I could explain to every language learner I ever meet how great this app is. The religion system is fantastic, it is so simple, the number of language opportunities is immense.
Clozemaster offers such an effective and simple way to learn one of the most important and vital aspects of a language—learning words!
I love so much that there are leaderboards—both weekly and all-time. This really makes this app shine. The fact that this app is free almost isn’t fair. I’m a poor college student, and I feel the need to donate because of how great the app is. Please give it a try!
The two suggestions I have is one, the ability to see a full leaderboard between you and the top 10, and secondly, the ability to see stats for every language. For example, how many people are studying it daily, weekly, monthly, total, etc. I think it would be really fun to compare! Other stats like how many people total are on Clozemaster for a language would be cool.
- Language Innovation LLC
- 7 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2017 Language Innovation LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.