By Maurice Nonnekes
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Clutter lets you put animated GIFs on your desktop and let your desktop come to life! It is designed to use relatively low CPU resources and is therefore suitable as a desktop beautifier.
What's New in Version 1.1
• Fixed a memory leak when closing an image.
• Slightly improved the redraw speed of an individual GIF frame.
• Add a "Resources" menu item for a list of popular Cinemagraph websites.
• The interface thread no longer interferes with the animation timer.
• Add the ability to rename collections in the preferences.
• The collection list in preferences now gets updated when a new one is added and the preferences window is open.
• Disable the - button in the collections preferences window when no selection has been made, or no collections are present to delete.
• Added a + button next to the - button under the collections list in preferences.
• Remember the state of the "Open image on all spaces" checkbox in the open image dialog window.
• The "Open collection" menu item is now greyed out when the last collection is deleted.
Clutter works great. It is a perfect compliment to GeekTool or just adding a little life to the desktop. It supports transparency and playback speed.
I don't believe the intension is to have a full size animated desktop. With that said, it does place animated looping gifs into your desktop with little effort. There are initially frames and close buttons to allow customizing but are removed as soon as you apply the command in the drop down menu making all the gifs seamless on the desktop.
You'll want to read up on how to make gif's with low file sizes as this is what affects your computers memory.
Works well, but not suitable for backgrounds
I wanted to use this to replace my desktop background with a gif, but it doesn’t appear to support that functionality. The images just behave like standard finder windows, with awkward buttons on them. This doesn’t seem very useful without the ability to stick windows to the background.