Co:Writer® is a writing tool that aids with phonetic/inventive spelling, grammar, and topic-related vocabulary. Co:Writer has been a trusted friend to writers and communicators for decades (tracing its roots back to the days of the Apple II in the late 70s).
HOW DOES CO:WRITER WORK?
As letters are typed, Co:Writer predicts the intended word with a selection of word suggestions using powerful grammar-smart word prediction. These suggestions can be read aloud with a swipe. Selecting the intended word places it into the document. For feedback while writing (and after writing) built-in text to speech can be used to read letters, words, sentences, and the entire document.
4+ MILLION TOPIC-SPECIFIC DICTIONARIES
Co:Writer has access to a main prediction dictionary (that includes core words) and Topic Dictionaries (that includes topic specific words). Co:Writer can access over 4 million topic-specific dictionaries which are activated based on the writing task.
A small sampling of the variety of topic dictionaries:
- America's Cup
- Apple II
- Compare and Contrast
- Grumpy Cat
- History of the Peloponnesian War
- Mahatma Gandhi
- My Dog
- Pig Latin
- Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Tommy (album)
- Wonders of the World
Co:Writer handles the widest range of spelling mistakes through its Flexspell™technology including phonetic spelling and inventive spelling errors (letter omissions, word ending omissions, letter reversals, etc).
Examples of how Co:Writer aides with phonetic and/or inventive spelling:
1. The blk jargon flu over the bra lfnt.
2. R u hpy to ce me?
3. I no hw to nor the fone.
1. The black dragon flew over the gray elephant.
2. Are you happy to see me?
3. I know how to answer the phone.
Co:Writer bases its prediction off of proper grammar, and uses its understanding of grammar to accurately predict words within the framework of valid sentence structures.
Examples of how Co:Writer aides with grammar:
1. Dogs are furry. (noun, verb, adj.) - When you typed d-o, you get plural noun choices
2. Three very mangy dogs ran down the street. (adj., adv., adj., noun, verb… etc.) - After typing three, very, mangy, you get plural noun choices, then you get plural verb tenses.
- Built-in Text to Speech (swipe prediction guesses to hear before selection)
- iCloud Support
-US dictionaries and US voice only. Please see separate versions for British English and Canadian English.
Just a fix for exporting to Google Docs
Ratings and Reviews
Love this app
As a speech-language pathologist, I use a fair amount of of text prediction writing apps and computer programs, but this is one that my students really seem to love and choose when given options. I use it regularly with almost all my high school students. I think it's simplicity is a large part of the appeal. My favorite thing about it is that it is incredibly easy/intuitive to save something you've written before starting something new. You just hit a "plus" at the top of the page, it automatically saves what you've written and gives you a new page. With other apps and programs my students frequently delete what they just finished writing because they want to write something new.
App review from an OT
I am an occupational therapist and I really like to use Co-Writer with the students I serve. This is a great app for kids that would be more successful using an iPad vs a computer. However- there are some updates I would really love to see in order to make this app even better. The word prediction words are pretty small, and ability to make those words larger just as you can make the regular text larger would be helpful. It would also be nice to be able to have different contrasting colors besides black/white. Great app, a lot of topic lists, and the same great flexible spelling make this app beneficial but if only the word prediction words could be enlarged!
Lots to like; needs some changes
Lots of the things we love about CoWriter for the computer...best ever word prediction. The ability to have and make your own topic dictionary is fantastic! And love the different size dictionaries! Some improvements to consider:
1. The ability to listen to words choices before selecting; best done by phrase rather than one word, too.
2. Ability to use copy/paste from clipboard really important...seems funky and unreliable.
3. Ability to have black background and yellow text, the best for high contrast, a must; other color choices would be helpful.
4. If possible, bringing up only grammatically correct words would be phenomenal. Maybe I am shooting for the moon here, though!
- Don Johnston, Inc.
- 68.4 MB
- Requires iOS 7 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Adaptive Peripherals, Inc. & Don Johnston Incorporated
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.