By Two Lives Left
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Over 100,000 people build incredible apps and games with Codea. Unleash your creativity now, right from your iPad.
"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
What's New in Version 2.3.1
Hi Everyone. Routine bug-fix release. Nothing to see here. Move along please.
• Adds Lua 5.3 support to Air Code
• Fixes an issue with parameter.number and huge values
• Improves compatibility with iOS 8.3
• Fixes to orientationChanged callbacks
Still reading? Do you like Codea and want to help us out? please consider leaving a review telling everyone what you think. It really helps and we love to read your feedback!
I love codea
Really good app and good price, if your a coder you need this app really good.
I can actually make an app on my iPad! It's so awesome!!!!!!!
Makes you fall in love with your iPad all over again
I have encountered a few apps which are so brilliant, so innovative, and so intellectually stimulating that the single app, would be worth having an iPad for. This is one of them.
Of course, this only applies if you have an interest and curiosity about how the iPad actually works, and what is possible with it, plus some ability to write at least simple code, and the willingness to dedicate a little time to learning something new. If so, you will be amply rewarded.
The focus is on game programming, but Codea easily extends itself to simulations and other uses.
You need to know, or learn, a little bit about the Lua programming language, but that is really part of the fun here -Lua is a wonderful elegant language that all programmers should know a bit about.
Codea is stable, well documented, and supported by an enthusiastic community. Well worth the small cost, simply to experience the practical power of being able to program the iPad on itself, rather than indirectly (through Xcode).
Hope this is useful to those considering whether to take the plunge. Have fun!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Apr 21, 2015
- Version: 2.3.1
- Size: 25.0 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Seller: Two Lives Left
- © 2014 Two Lives Left
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.