By Two Lives Left
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"[Codea] for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
What's New in Version 2.2
- Great new text-to-speech API, make your iPad talk!
- Just use speech.say("something") to test it out
- New example project called Speakeasy
- Check the Sound docs for in-depth help
- Impulse-based methods added to physics.body
- CPU-based computation sped up significantly
- Many more performance improvements and bug fixes
- Portuguese language support added
Best Programming App for iPad, by far
It's well known that the iPad is great for productivity… unless what you are creating is an app. To be sure, Codea is not an app for coding in the same capacity as, say, Xcode. However, it's perfect for playing around and testing ideas on the go. It is also great for teaching coding, thanks to its simple syntax and built-in documentation. Codea accomplishes all this, with aplomb. If you are a programmer or interested in becoming one, this app is a must-have.
What can I say, it just gets better and better with each update.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Feb 25, 2015
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 24.7 MB
- Languages: Catalan, Dutch, En, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Seller: Two Lives Left
- © 2014 Two Lives Left
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.