By Two Lives Left
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
What's New in Version 2.3.1
Hi Everyone. Routine bug-fix release. Nothing to see here. Move along please.
• Adds Lua 5.3 support to Air Code
• Fixes an issue with parameter.number and huge values
• Improves compatibility with iOS 8.3
• Fixes to orientationChanged callbacks
Still reading? Do you like Codea and want to help us out? please consider leaving a review telling everyone what you think. It really helps and we love to read your feedback!
A stroke of genius
I've only been coding for a few days now and I decided on Codea to learn a language because all I have is an iPad. I chose Codea only because it seemed more user friendly than Pythonista, it's safe to say it is the best App Store purchase I have ever made. I would have paid $20 for the quality of this app. I immediately began the first Codea tutorial because there were none on Codea(unfortunately). The Patrick Coxall tutorials prove very helpful even though I'm only on the second one. Keep up the excellence!
Rather buggy in some places (aka the main menu), but well worth the cost. I've barely scratched the surface of what this app can do, but so far it's amazing! The community is great and offers answers to most (if not all) of the questions you might have.
Powerful but not mobile
Powerful. But waaaaayyyy too complex and opaque for mobile. How on earth is someone supposed to learn all of the arbitrary quirks and conventions of this platform — not to mention Lua — through this interface?
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Apr 21, 2015
- Version: 2.3.1
- Size: 25.0 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Seller: Two Lives Left
- © 2014 Two Lives Left
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.