By Two Lives Left
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Over 100,000 people build incredible apps and games with Codea. Unleash your creativity now, right from your iPad.
"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
What's New in Version 2.3
Codea 2.3 brings you Lua 5.3 support!
• Native integer type, new integer division operator (//)
• Bitwise operations
• New goto statement
• table.move / pack and unpack
• string.pack / unpack
• Yield across pcalls
• New utf8 library
• Cleaner math functions
• setfenv / getfenv removed
You may need to migrate your code if you are using deprecated features. Don't panic — it's not hard!
Note that you will be asked to migrate some example projects over to Lua 5.3. This will ensure that they are compatible. You can restore example projects at any time by pressing the settings icon in the top right.
• New integrated JSON library
• json.encode / json.decode
• Checkout the Storage docs for more info
• saveText correctly creates files when they do not exist
• WIDTH and HEIGHT can now be set again
• duplicate "COPY" button issue resolved
AMAZING, GREAT, AWESOME App, a MUST BUY!!!
Codea, it's definitely the best app I've ever tried. Probably the best app on the App Store, too. If I could I would have given it a hundred stars for sure, only the rating doesn't allow that. Of course there are apps like Asphalt 8, Real Racing 3, FIFA, etc. which might be particularly very popular among all, but nothing is as GREAT as Codea, since programming creates all those we wonder at, and this app is all about programming. I used to spend a lot of time playing those games, but since I found Codea, I haven't touched them. If it were a huge app I was ready to clear everything on my iPad to make space, but the best part is it's only 25 MB's. It's so small compared to Real Racing 3 in size, yet Real Racing 3 just fades against it. Probably the best app ever for a mobile device. Worth every penny of it's cost, a MUST DOWNLOAD. PLEASE TRY IT.
It's enormously powerful, and definitely matches the desktop development standards. After all nothing feels better than creating something, and the fact that you can create games right on you iPad is so amazing, outstanding. Simply the best app ever. Only thing you need to do is learn LUA. And I agree that it truly needs a tutorial for the app, please provide. It's way better than playing games or wasting time in social networking sites. A must buy.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Mar 20, 2015
- Version: 2.3
- Size: 25.0 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Seller: Two Lives Left
- © 2014 Two Lives Left
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.