"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full 2D and 3D physics engines for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
We're back with more Codea!
- Complete re-write of the project browser
- Finally, support for split-view and slide-over on your iPad
- Supports the newest devices and screen sizes
- Craft supports even more 3D model formats
- New mic library to sample your device microphone frequency and amplitude
- Codea now supports shaders from our upcoming app, Shade
- Too many to count. Uncountable
- Probably countable but we won't do it
Ratings and Reviews
Great Flexible Development on iOS
I’m a data scientist, and although the bulk of my work is in Python and R, Codea is a great environment for developing numerical simulations and visualizations. I keep on going back to Codea to explore new ideas and visualize the results.
It’s very versatile and powerful! I’m very glad that it includes references and examples, as they are VERY helpful. One question, though, does this support Mfi controllers? If not, is there a possibility of that being a feature?
The best coding on iPad app I've seen.
So many apps on iPad but this is the only one that's versatile, practical and makes most sense.
Glad you like it. Can't wait to get the next version to you.
- Two Lives Left
- 153.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Two Lives Left
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.