Codebook is a cross-platform password manager providing powerful and complete data encryption, a flexible data model, fast search, multi-device replication, Face ID and Touch ID authentication, and form-filling in Safari with the included Find in Codebook app extension.
Codebook is free to try for 14 days, after which an In-App Purchase of Codebook Pro is required to access the sync and editing features.
Codebook has been protecting sensitive information on mobile devices for 19 years, since the days of the Palm Pilot! It protects your passwords and personal information from unauthorized access by would-be crackers, malicious thieves, and snoopy coworkers. Stop using the same password for all your accounts! Codebook generates strong, random passwords and keeps them for you, protected by your master password and powerful encryption.
“By far the most resilient app to password cracking” — Elcomsoft, Black Hat EU 2012
* Optionally authenticate with Face ID and Touch ID
* Full support for AufoFill Passwords in iOS 12
* Fill out password login forms in Safari with the Find in Codebook app extension
* Designed to work on iPhone *and* iPad
* Sync over WiFi with Codebook for macOS and Codebook for Windows (sold separately)
* Sync over Drive or Dropbox (free Drive or Dropbox account required)
* Full text search as you type across all your records and fields
* Auto-lock timer allows you to keep Codebook temporarily unlocked while you switch apps
* Configurable field masking to hide sensitive data from view
* Erases clipboard when information is copied to be pasted in other apps after two minutes
* Supports both portrait and landscape device orientation
* Includes 200 gorgeous color icons for personalizing your records
* Generates two-step verification (TOTP) codes
* Scans QR codes with main camera
Find in Codebook:
* Fill out password login forms without leaving Safari!
* Tap the Find in Codebook item in Safari's Share Sheet
* Find in Codebook will authenticate you and look up the website in your records
* Just tap one of the results and the form will be filled in Safari
Use Stronger Passwords:
* Codebook helps you remember stronger passwords, but also to generate them
* The password generator allows you to generate random passwords from several common character sets, and adjusts for bias
* The password generator also supports Diceware passwords—both the Reinhold and Electronic Frontier Foundation variants
* Personalize categories to match your organizational style
* Customize your entries including usernames, passwords, websites, notes and create your own fields and labels
* Note records can be created in any category to store free-form text
* Store any information you want--no restrictive templates!
* Store URL connection strings (e.g. SSH, AFP, SFTP) to launch other applications directly
* Star your Favorites to get at them quickly and sort them to the top of search results
Encryption and Password Protection:
* Uses the open source, encrypted database engine SQLCipher
* 256-bit AES encryption in CBC mode protects all of your data
* 64,000 rounds of PBKDF2 SHA-1 key derivation
* Every encrypted database has its own random initialization vector
* Every page of storage has its own random initialization vector and HMAC protection
* Hardware-accelerated using CommonCrypto for speed and reduced battery consumption
More details are available at: https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/
Sync with your Desktop:
Codebook for iOS is designed to work seamlessly with Codebook for macOS and Windows, sold separately. Sync your information with Codebook on your desktop for easy editing, data backup, import and export, integration with other apps and more. Check out https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/ for more details and a product tour for all platforms we support.
If you don't use Codebook desktop you can still backup your Codebook database for free using the Drive and Dropbox sync features.
Changes in this version:
* Fixes incorrect "invalid password" error when password field on login view is unmasked
* Improvements to error handling in store view when products are unavailable
* Improvements to layout on store view
* Full support for iOS 12
* New Password AutoFill support
* New Free Trial mode
Starting with version 3.6.0, Codebook will be free to try and require an In-App Purchase, Codebook Pro, to unlock the editing and sync features after the free trial expires. Customers who bought Codebook prior to version 3.6.0 are exempt, having already kindly purchased Codebook without being able to try it first (thank you so much!)
Ratings and Reviews
STRIP user since Palm Pilot days!
Update - Thanks to the developers for addressing my concerns! I am locked into a Windows work environment (which I am sure many users are), so a portable option for Windows would seem to be the most widely applicable. To recap, my main Enterprise-level considerations that might make it more work friendly:
1) A portable option - in most locked-down environments, you can’t get admin privileges to install your own applications.
2) To make matters worse, there are often dozens of passwords for different applications/websites in the workplace, all with staggered password lifecycles or expiration dates. Do you always log in to every site in time to change that expiring password before getting locked out - or do you find yourself trapped into a call to IT or a remote help desk to reinstate your account? How about a simple expiration date field that you could sort on to see what passwords you need to change in the coming days?
I hope that the innovation continues to demonstrate the commitment to unsurpassed security and simple interface - but i sure would like to have the option to use my Codebook at work (instead of the cumbersome operation of fat-fingering complex passwords from my phone)!
(And I’ll try to engage more on the forum, too!)
Thanks so much for the kind words and for using Codebook for so long!
We've gotten the request to add portability to Codebook before, but haven't yet decided to pursue it, though it would be a nice addition. Would that be for use with Windows environments, or other operating systems? We can't promise we'll pursue it, making any of the four native apps portable would require a substantial effort.
We agree that a feature for password expiration and reset policies is quite desirable and we hope to get to it before too long. Currently we have some other more high priority efforts under way, but it's definitely on our list.
Please feel free to continue this conversation on our discussion forum: https://discuss.zetetic.net
Excellent password manager and support
I have been using Codebook for a couple of years, after trying several other password managers. I have stuck with Codebook because of it’s excellent security features and flexibility. Recently, I had contacted their support team about a bug I had discovered in an update. Their support was very responsive (like within a half hour of me contacting them!), and very helpful, keeping the service request ticket open until the problem was completely resolved. Awesome app and company! Two big thumbs up!
App no longer recognizes its been purchased already
After updating this morning to the new 3.6.0 release, Codebook no longer recognizes that I purchased it in November 2017. It offers trial mode or purchase option when launched. Trying the "restore purchases" option and supplying my AppleID password just lands me back at the same screen. I rely on this app practically every day and this is not acceptable.
Update: Problem resolved in 3.6.1! Thanks for fixing this so quickly. I really didn't know what I'd do without this app!!
- Zetetic LLC
- 67 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Zetetic LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial Free
- Codebook Pro for iOS $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.