By Vadim Shpakovski
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
CodeBox is a feature-rich code snippet manager for developers and designers with an intuitive user interface. Save your time and efforts by utilizing CodeBox to collect and reuse snippets of code. With CodeBar enabled, you have a full-featured searchable snippet library right in the menu bar!
• Import snippets from Finder, from Clipboard and from the other snippet managers
• Keep many pieces of the same receipt in one snippet i.e. “index.html”, “script.js” and “styles.css”
• Manage your snippet libraries using Tags, Folders, Groups, Smart Groups and Assets
• CodeBar helper app resided in the menu bar allows you to explore and use snippet library documents
• Define variable __placeholders__ to edit them before using
• CodeBar allows you to Edit, Copy or Paste snippets into an active application right from the menu bar
• Enable text expander by defining a snippet abbreviation@ and then unwrap it in any app
• CodeBox can sync between macs via Dropbox, FTP or any other mountable volume
• Share your snippets and assets to the most popular social coding services Gist and Snipplr
• Drag and drop a custom .tmTheme into the code editor to change highlighting colors
• Find out more on the CodeBox official website…
What's New in Version 1.6
• Minimalist view with a plain text in the table of snippets
• Improved tooltips for the CodeBar menu items
• Remembering the last used external editor for each file type
• Fixed text expander in some apps
• Other improvements and bug fixes
Great app, but extremely buggy
Update: Abandonded. This app hasn’t been updated since 2012! Do not buy it!
I really like this app, but it has a number of bugs that interrupt workflow and make it frustrating to use at times. In the latest version, snippets are expanded without me hitting 'tab', so I keep getting unwanted expansions as I type. Also, I can't just click on tabs without highlighting all of them. You have to click right on the edge of the tab to select. I'm also unable to search all my snippets in the snippet column, if the tag list is showing in the far left column. I have to first change to the folder view, select all snippets again and then conduct a search. Finally, everytime I launch the app, it forgets my menubar setting. Every time I have to open prefernces to turn it back on.
Lots of potential in this app, but some of the bugs have got to be worked out.
Best Snippets App
I have gone through a few snippet apps, but none of them compare to Codebox. I was able to import my entire snippets library from my other snippets app using Codebox's import option. In the past I've spent hours migrating snippets from one app to another and Codebox made it effortless.
Codebox easily saves to Dropbox so you can work consistently on all devices. Multiple tabs in snippets lets you organize an entire library of files in one group and drag them into a project. This app is built extremely well. I'm really amazed and hope Codebox continues to grow!
No Swift support
I just bought Codebox (April 2016) and regret not doing a little more homework. I wanted the app for Swift snippets and the app doesn’t have support for Swift. It doesn’t look like it’s been updated since 2012 and the last Twitter posts from the author are from 2013 making any future support a bit unlikely. I would recommend looking online at something like GistBox which, while doesn’t currently offer Swift support either, is as least being actively developed.
Another option is to simply use something like Evernote. With great search and tags, it seems to offer the same as CodeBox, especially for languages missing syntax highlighting.
- Category: Developer Tools
- Updated: Apr 07, 2012
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 1.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Vadim Shpakovski
- Copyright © 2011, 2012 Shpakovski
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later, 64-bit processor