By Two Lives Left
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at http://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you would like to help translate Codea into your language please join the translation effort at http://translate.twolivesleft.com
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
What's New in Version 2.3.2
It's been a while since the last update, but there's plenty more to come!
We've added support for the iPad Pro. Coding on your iPad has never been more incredible.
This update also focuses on iOS 9 improvements.
- Spotlight search support. Your projects will show up in Spotlight and you can tap them to go straight to editing.
- Ability to export a plain zipped project archive
- Improved error messages with stack trace
- Support for OpenGL ES 3.0
- Mesh instances: efficient rendering of multiple meshes
- Support for settable voices and language in speech API
- Matrix attributes (mat4) supported in shaders
- Matrix uniform arrays supported in shaders
- Revamped Xcode export with support for Xcode 7 and Bitcode
- Better support for iOS 9 features, such as two-finger caret dragging
- Support for iOS 9 bluetooth keyboard shortcut hints (hold the command key when using an external keyboard)
- Disables the default iOS 9 input assistant bar
- Fixes matrix * vec4 bug
- Fixes incorrect initial camera orientation under iOS 9
- Allows saveText() to delete assets when passing nil
- Fixes possible crashes when using bad parameters with camera()
- Fixed bug in Cargo-Bot example (requires example project restore)
- Code editor optimisations
iPad was getting boring until I found this. Best APP I've found so far
Makes you fall in love with your iPad all over again
I have encountered a few apps which are so brilliant, so innovative, and so intellectually stimulating that the single app, would be worth having an iPad for. This is one of them.
Of course, this only applies if you have an interest and curiosity about how the iPad actually works, and what is possible with it, plus some ability to write at least simple code, and the willingness to dedicate a little time to learning something new. If so, you will be amply rewarded.
The focus is on game programming, but Codea easily extends itself to simulations and other uses.
You need to know, or learn, a little bit about the Lua programming language, but that is really part of the fun here -Lua is a wonderful elegant language that all programmers should know a bit about.
Codea is stable, well documented, and supported by an enthusiastic community. Well worth the small cost, simply to experience the practical power of being able to program the iPad on itself, rather than indirectly (through Xcode).
Hope this is useful to those considering whether to take the plunge. Have fun!
Fantastic tool, fantastic support, keeps getting better
An amazing development environment that lets you code directly on the iPad. While the tool lends itself to rapid prototyping, Codea is capable of far more than trivial or lightweight examples. You can build complex games, or serious business applications, and use the full-featured language to tailor fast, efficient code. As with the best development tools, you really are only limited by your imagination.
Codea is also very well supported, with a lot of attention to user requests, frequent and substantial updates, and a great community on the Codea forums. Even novice programmers will find the help they need to achieve amazing things.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 04, 2015
- Version: 2.3.2
- Size: 29.6 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Seller: Two Lives Left
- © 2014 Two Lives Left
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.