Discover and explore Colorado’s unique trail experiences with the Colorado Trail Explorer. Available for free, COTREX offers the most comprehensive trail map available for the state and is built atop data from over 230 trail managers.
View trails by allowed uses on the map, browse featured routes, download offline maps, record trips and notes in the field, complete challenges to earn badges, and share your experiences with the community. COTREX is your gateway into Colorado’s magnificent outdoors.
■ DISCOVER TRAILS & FEATURED ROUTES
– Browse or search to find trails and Feature Routes that match your activities or interests.
– Change activity type to dynamically filter trails on the map.
■ OFFLINE MAPS
– No cell coverage? No problem! Download maps ahead of time for a continuous experience that doesn’t depend on your network.
– COTREX offline maps are lightweight in size and easy to download.
■ RECORD TRIPS & FIELD NOTES
– Capture the details of your outdoor experiences by recording Trips.
– Go beyond simple photos by taking and classifying rich Field Notes along the way. Choose from 45,000+ classifications that include trail conditions, species, rocks and minerals, historic places, points of interest, and much more.
– Seamlessly sync activity recorded on your devices with the web.
■ COMPLETE CHALLENGES TO EARN BADGES
– By recording and classifying Field Notes, you can complete Challenges and earn Badges for your profile.
■ SHARE WITH THE COMMUNITY
– Inform and inspire the entire COTREX community by sharing your Trips and Field Notes publicly or submitting Trip Reports.
– View activity feeds for all users or just the ones you follow.
– By sharing your experiences, you also help to inform trail managers about current conditions on the ground.
■ ABOUT COTREX
The Colorado Trail Explorer endeavors to map every trail in the state of Colorado in support of the Colorado the Beautiful Initiative. COTREX connects people, trails, and technology by coordinating the efforts of federal, state, county, and local agencies to create a comprehensive repository of recreational trails for public use.
This project is led by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) and Department of Natural Resources, but is only made possible through partnerships with organizations at every level statewide. COTREX represents a seamless network of trails managed by over 230 land managers.
[Battery Life] We do everything we can to make the app low power when recording, but GPS is notorious for reducing battery life
- Satellite Layer
- You can now save custom routes
- You can now tag friends in trips, custom routes, and field notes
- See realtime trail closures & advisories
- iPad Support
Ratings and Reviews
Great app so far guys. Maybe add a trail difficulty feature too? I like viewing maps from satellite images maybe add a way to change it to that too?
- State of Colorado Governor's Office of Information Technology
- 100 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Colorado Parks and Wildlife
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.