The Columbus Dispatch Electronic Edition brings you the page-by-page design and flow of each day’s paper straight to your iPad. As a subscriber you can download an exact replica of The Dispatch — including every page, story, photo and ad — whenever you want so you can take it wherever you want.
The Dispatch iPad Edition is perfect for travelers, former central Ohioans, readers who don’t live in the Dispatch delivery area, folks who want to stay up to date on their favorite Columbus teams — or anyone who wants to take the paper with them every morning.
Here's just some of what’s great about the E-Edition of the publication named the state's Best Newspaper by the Ohio Associated Press Media Editors the last four years in a row:
• It’s been updated to more closely replicate the popular online Electronic Edition. Now, you can chose from a wider number of display options, get a quick “at a glance” digest of the day’s contents and more. This is no mere flipping of pages.
• A left-hand sidebar takes you beyond each day’s edition with a live feed of Dispatch stories and updates as they’re posted
• You can search within a day’s paper or in back issues of dates you choose. Search articles, ads, pictures — search it all!
• It's quick to download and you can begin reading the front page while the rest of the newspaper downloads in the background
• The toolbar allows you to easily jump around from section to section, bookmark stories, search the entire paper and more
• You can read stories on the page (as you would the print edition), tap once to enlarge and tap twice for a special “story view”
• Tapping a story’s “jump line” takes you directly to its continuation
• You can easily share stories via email and popular social networks
• Websites and email addresses mentioned in stories and ads are hot-linked
• You can hang on to each paper for as long as you'd like — or delete it right after you're done
New interface to align with desktop experience.
Ratings and Reviews
Used to like app now is crap (updated)
Well they did update the new app to make it just a tad less of an abomination but I still stick to my original review. I will also add this; It just seems that too often apps are changed just for the sake of change and nothing is actually done to improve the app. Do you think we are dumb? Just because you change something doesn’t mean it’s better. Again I say, STUPID.
I really used to like this for reading the paper on my iPad. It was almost like reading the regular paper, just on an electronic device, like an ebook does. Now, they’ve changed it so it matches the web version. Why!?! Why the hell would they do such a stupid thing. The web version is tailored toward use on a computer. The iPad version was tailored for use on an Idevice, a tablet. Now instead of having a full page experience duplicating reading the print version, a good 3/4 inch is taken up around the screen for tool bars and other crap. Tools that used to be hidden until you needed them. This is a real step backward.
Well... I DO like the E Edition
It appears most bad reviews are several months old - I’ve enjoyed the “paper experience” using the e-edition for several years. Maybe I did something right that others did wrong? The method I use is nearly perfect in duplicating he experience of reading the real paper. While there are a couple things I’d like to see improve - the wild negative reviews elsewhere to be from folks that just don’t know how to install an app correctly. Sorry all, just the way it works for me.
All progress means change
But, not all change is progress and that is proven by the latest so-called updates to this app. I figured I'd eventually become used to and familiar with the changes but two are just annoying. First, how do I get rid of the constantly scrolling 'Latest News' on the left side of the screen. There used to be an X and then the word 'Hide' that let me remove it but those are no longer available. Second, there is no longer a menu (that I have found) to jump from one section of the paper to another. Now, there's just the pop-up scroll at the bottom of the screen. Again, all progress means change but not all change means progress.
- GateHouse Media, Inc.
- 37.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Copyright 2018 GateHouse Media, Inc., reproduction prohibited. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.