Comic Zeal Comic Reader
By Bitolithic Pty Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Imagine holding your comic library in your hands; with Comic Zeal, you don't have to imagine.
Your iPad is the perfect device for reading comics, but reading comics and manga isn't like reading books. You need a specialist app that can:
• Organize your comics by series, don't look through hundreds to find the one you want.
• When you finish reading one comic, automatically open the next one.
• Reliably zoom in on content, and not show you the same borders page after page.
• Be smart about what to show you when you rotate the device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lets you search for and find your comics by title and the tags that you've applied to them.
• Load your comics using USB, wifi or even other apps like Drop Box.
That app is Comic Zeal. It does everything on the list and much more. It was the first comic reader on the app store more than four years ago. We've been listening to your feedback and improving on it ever since.
Comic Zeal uses the innovative slider, it's a pointer, a container and a toolbox, all in one. You can push comics, series and dividers into it. Then go anywhere in your library and drag them out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
If you're still not convinced read our reviews and have a look at our star rating. Then buy the app and read the usage tips below whilst it's downloading.
• Tap the options icon for comics, series and dividers. You can rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders. Try zooming using your thumbs while holding the iPad in both hands.
• You can turn pages by swiping or tapping the sides of the screen. The tap area is thin so that you can easily reach past it with your thumb for scrolling. The BEST way to change page is to simply slide your thumb from the iPad's frame to the screen and back. It's picked up as a page turn every time and it's very natural.
• You can import cbz/cbr/rar/zip and PDF comics directly into Comic Zeal using iTunes file sharing with a USB cable or over a wireless network.
Loading comics using USB (fastest and most reliable)
1. Connect the iPad to your computer.
2. iTunes should open automatically, but if it doesn't open iTunes.
3. In the left column, click on Devices > (your iPad)
4. Click on the "Apps" tab.
5. Scroll down from the "Sync Apps" section to the "File Sharing" section.
6. Click on "Comic Zeal".
7. Drop your comic files into the "Comic Zeal 5 Documents" section.
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
'The Paladin', © Jim Shelley, http://www.flashbackuniverse.com/
Read what the press has to say about Comic Zeal:
"ComicZeal is good at what it does. Comic book fans interested in taking their favorite books with them will enjoy ComicZeal."
- Awarded 4 mice, MacWorld.com
"Fans of comics’ “Golden Age” now have a great way to feed that jones on the iPhone and iPod Touch with Comic Zeal from Bitolithic."
- Lonnie Lazar, cultofmac.com
"ComicZeal is the ideal app for the avid comic reader"
- 'Best' Award, appreview.com
What's New in Version 6.1.4
Hi all! this update has a lot of small improvements but also much better looking thumbnails (and faster!) and a greatly improved algorithm for finding the series name in a comic name.
The full list of changes is:
- Changed the appearance of series and dividers in both view types.
- Much better system for finding the series for a comic based on the comic name.
- Across the board performance improvements.
- Returns to the navigation screen when the last comic in a series is finished.
- Fixed issue where the options menus would show a white box around some of the option names.
- Tapping on dividers and containers now opens the entry instead of editing the text.
- Fixed issue where the 'change name' option for series would sometimes not show in list view.
- Lots of little stability and bug fixes.
I really hope you like all of it!
Great app. Terrible update.
This app is one of my most used apps ever which really bums me out that this new update has been terrible. First of all, now whenever I finish a comic and it takes me back to the collection screen, the whole app is shifted upwards like half an inch so no buttons are accessible. It's a buggy, unusable mess. Every time I finish a comic I have to close the entire app now. Also, what in the world is with this new design? Book ends? Really? It covers up 60 percent of the comic cover. Not the greatest idea. One of the benefits of reading comics digitally as opposed to physically is being able to get a lot of instant visual feedback for large collections, which this new design update completely negates. The design is annoying, but the buggyness makes it almost unusable. Please please PLEASE fix. This is my favorite app. Don't try to fix what isn't broken.
Best Comic Reader for iPad just keeps getting better!
This is the best comic reader on iOS and I have tried them all! Developer is making many fine refinements to this app and I have high confidence it will continue to improve. Nothing too flashy here, no wiz bang features you will never use, just a clean view of your comics and series, and the best rendering I have seen on a comics reader for your images. great app and can only get better from here!
Best comic reader on the App Store
Still HANDS DOWN the best comic book reading app out there. Supports all the files I throw at it. The app has never crashed on me or had any bugs. It has a new Fantastic library thumbnail view. Fast, beautiful and the best part is that the app Devolper is easy to reach and keeps this app updated. Buy it now and it will work for you no matter the iOS upgrade.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Jun 26, 2014
- Version: 6.1.4
- Size: 19.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Bitolithic Pty Ltd
- © 2011 Bitolithic Pty Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.