Comic Zeal Comic Book Reader
By Bitolithic Pty Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Do you want the most features? the best reading experience? Comic Zeal 9 has them both. It was the first comic reader in the App Store, it’s still the best.
• Organize your collection how YOU want. Put series inside series, use dividers to manage long lists.
• Automatically sorts comics into their series.
• Super fast reading view with two-page mode and assisted panning.
• Page position lock so you don’t see the same borders page after page.
• Does the right thing when you rotate your device, many comics have a mixture of portrait and landscape pages.
• Lightning fast search, by comic title and tags.
• Parental lock for individual series.
IN APP PURCHASES
For a very reasonable price you can also unlock
• Comic Finders, create smart series that show you unread comics from all over your library.
• Seven new, gorgeous themes.
• WI-Fi using a web browser on a PC or Mac.
• Drop Box, iCloud Drive, etc using iOS document sharing.
• AirDrop from a Mac.
• iTunes via USB or Wi-FI
Comic Zeal features the innovative slider, it's a pointer, a container and a toolbox, all in one. You can push stuff into it, then go anywhere in your collection and drag it out. It's an incredibly fast way to organize your comics.
With the slider you can:
• Reorder comics, put them into the slider in the order you want them, then drag them out.
• Create reading lists (by making copies of comics that don't take up any space on your device)
• Create series and dividers right in the app. Dividers are lists that can hold comics, series and even other dividers.
• Tap the ‘i’ info icon for comics, series and dividers. You can rename entries, sort a series or mark items as read or unread.
• When zooming, hold the gesture for half a second. Comic Zeal will lock that zoom and position when you turn the page, it's a great way to hide borders.
Comics used in the screenshots:
'Escape from Planet Nowhere', © 2010 Otis Frampton, http://planet-nowhere.com/
Please note, there is a problem with Google Drive’s iOS extension that doesn’t allow you to open comic and other files that they consider to be ’non-standard’. You can read more about it here: https://goo.gl/EKVRbN and here https://goo.gl/XXYRQI . You can open Comics from the Google Drive app itself using the 'Open in ...' option, just not directly from Comic Zeal.
What's New in Version 9.1.3
One big change in this update and some bug fixes:
- Imports now happen completely in the background.
- Fixed a couple of crashing bugs.
Comics are imported super quick now, can you let me know if you need some kind of download queue display? @bitolithic on twitter.
I gave this app a try because it fully supports split-view on the iPadPro. I'm very impressed. I've been a digital comic reader for many years. The folders are great, and I love that you can passcode protect some folders, as I allow my son to view some comics, and with pass coded folders it helps keep some of the more mature titles away from his prying eyes.
Never had the app crash, importing through the implemented web-server option is great and fast. No idea why the guy is complaining about lack of iTunes import. The less I have to deal with iTunes the better.
This may be the best comic book viewer on iPad or iPhone. I use it daily on my iPad and while I find my iPhone SE screen to small to use that's no fault of the app.( I will say the iPhone 6 screen is fine for reading comics on )
It is very simple to import comics onto the app with a few options so you can figure what's best for you. I personally use my browser to import the files. It's faster then all the other apps I've used in the past and the interface of the app itself is elegant and intuitive. Can't recommend this app enough to all comic book fans.
Great for the most part, but beware disappearing folders
I've been using this for over a year now and up until recently it's been amazing. Around a month or two ago though, when syncing over WiFi, I noticed folders would randomly get deleted due to some error that is not consistent. But I've now lost 4-5 folders of dozens of comics and have no explanation why.
I've reached out to support on their website and gotten no reply. This needs to be fixed asap or I'm done with this app as it loses core functionality if it's deleting my comics while trying to import them.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Sep 13, 2016
- Version: 9.1.3
- Size: 39.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Bitolithic Pty Ltd
- © 2015 Bitolithic Pty Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Extra Themes$1.99
- Unread Comic Finder$1.99