- TOUCHARCADE REVIEW (****):
"It's pretty rare to see an iOS strategy game that not only has a captivating story, sound gameplay mechanics, and challenging difficulty, but also manages to accomplish all this while not being a tower defense derivative. Companions manages to achieve all this and more, and leads to a great experience for those iPad owners looking to try out a real strategy game."
- GAMERS TEMPLE (96%):
Companions drags together the best of bigger console titles (story, character, length) and the best of the handheld world (touch-screen controls, single iPad multiplayer) into one cohesive, extremely fun game. No joke: If you don't like the game after level 1 or 2, you probably just hate fun games. Download this one soon.
- iPHONE LIFE:
"Companions makes good use of the iPad to give complete command over any melee situation, has a detailed storyline, and plenty of challenges to keep oneself immersed for hours!"
- PLAY the huge campaign with 10+ hours playtime
- PLAY again with different party combinations
- ENDLESS replay value (random drops, random enemies)
- PLAY with 3 different classes for each race:
- Minotaur: Berserker, Gladiator, Bull
- Elf: Assassin, Ranger, Archer
- Dwarf: Miner, Draftsman, Engineer
- Human: Light, Matter, Void
- IMMERSE yourself into the deep story line
- ENJOY the 40+ skills
- BUILD bombard, crossbow and scythe towers
- LAY spike traps, stone traps and decoy bombs
- GATHER 100+ items
- GAIN 30+ unique items
- FIGHT brutal boss mobs
- SURVIVE gigantic battles
- USE the tactical pause (20 or 60 seconds)
- LISTEN to philosophical pest zombies
- DEFEAT the really BIG DRAGON RAARTAARK
- LOOK upon the great artwork
- CHOOSE from 3 difficulty settings
- CONNECT to GameCenter
- GET 41 achievements
- SCORE on the 4 single maps with leaderboards
- AUTO and MANUAL save
- YOU ARE IN CONTROL!
Lead the four Companions to their destiny. Battles of epic magnitude await you on your way down towards the catacombs of Mentzel and the lava chambers of the volcano Eaneum.
Hordes of evil and strange creatures with nothing but hatred and death in their minds will do everything in their power to stop the Companions!
Altland may well be thrown into another devastating war. You are the only one able to guide the Companions safely through the storm that threatens to engulf the world!
The dangers are potent and manyfold. MAY UROORG BE WITH YOU!
- SAVE ALTLAND!
Altland is in danger. The dark god Detexx is on the rise again, ready to plunge Altland into eternal darkness.
People are vanishing and rumour has it, that strange creatures roam the land. Unbeknown to each other our four heroes begin their quests in the catacombs of Mentzel.
You have to unriddle the evil plans of the dark god and do everything in your power to stop the "Hordes of Nether"!
We updated the game to make it work again on iOS11. And we made the game free. It doesn't even have ads. :-)
Enjoy our firstborn, the game that started smuttlewerk!
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best from the golden age of the App Store
So great to see it resurrected. Too bad they felt it needed to be free (truly free, not free-to-play) because I’d love to see an updated version of this baby. One that costs a few bucks up front, after which you can play forever.
Why so many mobile players prefer to rent their games via consumable IAPs is beyond me...
To Developer: Thank you for the response! Yes, that was me back in the day. Always a big fan of your work. Best of luck navigating these new freemium-filled waters.
Developer Response ,
Hey Ubisububi! Did you have the same name on Toucharcade?! Memories are floating into my head, haha. :-) Well, it just doesn't make sense to work on the game. Finishing it would be lots of work, with old code and utilities and an expected income of....well...nothing to not much - even if we take money for it. Ralph updated the game in his spare time, so it'll be iOS11 ready again - at least you can play it. Have a great time!
Lots of options in tactics, albeit the tactics could use more complexities. Maybe it is due to the game being so small, but that should be no excuse to hinder today's Apps. More skills and item customization, it would have easily become be of the best strategy RPG on iOS.
I've really enjoyed this game, but after the second or third play through it gets stale very quickly. If there's no update soon I may just delete this app due to its low replayability.
- Smuttlewerk Interactive
- 82.8 MB
- Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, German
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2018 smuttlewerk interactive
- In-App Purchases
- 5 Ur-Steel $0.99
- 80 Ur-Steel $9.99
- 12 Ur-Steel $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.