Concepts: Sketch & Design
By TopHatch, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The future of professional design is here: Concepts intelligently combines paper + pencil with powerful vector manipulation. Make quick sketches, beautiful illustrations, and precise drawings with ease and style.
You’ll love the infinite canvas and layers, flexible multi-touch shape guides, vector manipulation with advanced transforms, and the ability to export your sketches to powerful standardized formats like SVG, PSD, PDF and CAD (DXF). Concepts sets the standard for productivity in the mobile era.
Concepts saves you time and enhances your creative capability. Use simple gestures like a tap-and-hold to select anything, and configurable shortcuts for unlimited undo, making adjustments, and accessing layers or the iconic COPIC Color wheel.
Concepts is optimized for the iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, and works brilliantly on iPad and iPhone so your sketchbook is always with you.
With our unique approach to precision sketching, amazing Architects, Illustrators, Professional Designers and Makers like you have designed hospitals and boats, landscapes, illustrations and game art, outlined major film storyboards, even crafted award-winning quilts, greeting cards, furniture, robots and drones!
Unlock the full power of Concepts with the Pro Pack and other in-app purchases:
- PRECISION TOOLS. Bring the power of CAD to your sketches through multi-touch shape guides, automatic measurements and snap-to sketching. We’ll do the math for you.
- ADJUST ANYTHING. Tap-and-hold any stroke or group to move, stretch, smooth, copy, delete, or change ink weight and color.
- ADVANCED TRANSFORMS. Distort, Perspective Warp and Skew. Concepts is the only app on iOS that provides the full desktop-class set, and does so with an incredibly simple interface.
- INFINITE LAYERS. Seriously. View them without losing context.
- POWERFUL EXPORTS. Send high-resolution (300dpi+) PNG, vector (SVG), CAD (DXF), Adobe Photoshop (PSD), and standard formats anywhere.
- PDF IMPORTS & EXPORTS. Maintain clarity, format, scale and style with standardized PDF docs, available as a separate in-app purchase.
- OBJECT LIBRARIES. For quick work, drag-and-drop pre-made or custom vector objects straight into your sketch. Vector object packs for architecture, landscaping, UI design, industrial design, auto design, fashion design, sketchnoting, visual thinking and more are available separately via the in-app store. Or, design your own and use them in-app or on iMessage.
If you’re not ready to go Pro, the basic app includes:
- ELEGANT, CLEAN INTERFACE. We get out of the way, so you can focus on your sketch work.
- INFINITE CANVAS, SHARP ZOOM & ROTATION. Also Portrait and Split View multi-tasking.
- 5 LAYERS with intelligent separation.
- IMPORT IMAGES. Learn by tracing, or mark up images with notes to give feedback to coworkers.
- UNLIMITED PROJECTS. Never, ever stop sketching.
- COPIC COLORS. The beautiful color wheel will make you say ‘wow’.
- BLUETOOTH STYLUS SUPPORT. Connect your favorite stylus from Apple, FiftyThree, Adobe, Adonit, HEX3, Pogo or Wacom. Includes Palm Rejection. Full support for Apple Pencil on iPad Pro.
- GORGEOUS VECTOR BRUSHES. Pencil, Pens, Area Fills, Marker, Airbrush and Watercolor. All free.
- ADJUSTABLE PAPER with real-scale paper sizes, layout guides + rulers, transparency, graph paper and isometric grids.
Concepts is the pro-level design sketchbook that helps you break free from the desktop.
WE'RE HERE TO HELP
We're dedicated to quality and we update often. If you get stuck, chat with us in-app, pencil a note to firstname.lastname@example.org, or find us anywhere with @ConceptsApp.
COPIC is the trademark of Too Corporation. Special thanks to Claudine Zafra, Lasse Pekkala and Erica Christensen for the architecture and illustration cover sketches!
What's New in Version 4.6.2
STABILITY TWEAKS & FIXES
Concepts is more stable than ever. We’ve fixed a few stroke issues like watercolors disappearing when your device’s “Display Zoom” was enabled and stroke width appearing to change while zooming, and also addressed a few crashes. If you see other issues, please let us know.
This will be the last version that supports iOS9, iOS10, and the no-longer-updated Hex3 stylus. The cutting edge beckons, including drag-and-drop across apps, access to Files and much (much) more. Farewell past, hello future.
The Concepts Team @ TopHatch
Has almost everything I need to make drawings like I would in a sketchbook
This app has been the best one I have found for drawing like I used to in my sketchbook. I like that there is a hard and soft pencil, and a hard and soft eraser. Changing the size and color of each implement is intuitive, fast, and easy. The graph paper background is super handy as I am a graphic designer creating hand drawings. Out of all the apps I have used for drawing, this one is my favorite. The only thing that I have found to be less than satisfactory is that if I try to export my drawing to Adobe Illustrator with Vector Paths (option only included in the pro version) all my erase marks show up as well in illustrator which makes the feature useless. I have had to export everything as a raster image which for me has defeated the purpose of creating a vector image in the first place. Hoping for future improvements on this aspect of an otherwise great app.
Some glitches, but still a good product
I have had no complaints about this product up until it crashed when zooming in and out on a recent project I was working on. The whole app just disappeared and the work I did had to be restarted from the previous save state. Also the undo and redo function sometimes completely altered my drawings to the point that I had to start over some of the work I did. It’s able to be worked around but, hopefully these glitches will be located and addressed in the next update without having to take away what works well with the app. Besides that, I love the way the interface works and how well it takes advantage of the Apple Pencil. It is my go to for idea dumps and brain storm declutter. Minimal buggy-ness, but overall all worth the money!
I use this for a lot of blocking for watercolor and quick sketches for character designs before I make a formal reference. A little disappointed that there isn’t a brush that tapers at the ends, but I wouldn’t see it necessary unless your trying for a good appealing lineart. You can always take the single width tool and taper it with a eraser. I’m absolutely annoyed that the eraser marks show when you merge layers. It’s inconvenient and the biggest drawback (hah, DRAWback. See what I did?) is the eraser thing. The watercolors tool is great as is the fill tool. I love the little size changes when you use the apple pen, very clever little thing. Overall good app, definitely worth considering. If your looking for more advanced stuff, get a Wacom tablet and look into PC programs like Painttool SAI and Photoshop.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 23, 2017
- Version: 4.6.2
- Size: 138 MB
- Languages: English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: TopHatch, Inc.
- © TopHatch, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Pro Pack$7.99
- PDF Essentials$4.99
- Pro Pack (iPhone Only)$3.99
- Pro Pack [Legacy]$7.99
- DIY Stickers$3.99
- Shape Library$1.99
- 3 Object Pack Credits$4.99
- 10 Object Packs$14.99
- 5 Object Pack Credits $7.99
- Upgrade to Pro Pack$5.99