Concise English Dictionary & Thesaurus
By jDictionary Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Concise English Dictionary & Thesaurus is the ideal, all-in-one reference, with a dictionary and a thesaurus combined in one handy, integrated app.
"The app’s clean interface, speed, and size make it a compelling and useful addition to the iPhone or iPod touch."
- Ben Boychuk, MACWORLD
• Concise English Dictionary uses one of the largest English dictionary databases. It includes up to 591,700 entries and more than 4.9 million words
• High quality audio pronunciation (available in American, British and Australian English, in both male and female voices)
• 134,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
• Word origins (etymologies)
• Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance
(just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
• Clear and precise definitions
• Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Concise English Dictionary includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms, idioms, prepositions, conjunctions, determiners, interjections, abbreviations, contractions, common misspellings, irregular forms and even Old English words
• Thesaurus functionality with word links
• Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing
• Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth-scrolling screens
• Editable history/bookmarks function
• Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
• Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
• No internet connection required
• Ready for iOS 10
What's New in Version 10.0
• Enhanced for iOS 10
• Updated definition and etymology databases
• Improved fuzzy-search
• Offline audio pronunciation
• Bug fixes
Great resource; needs one minor fix
I use this app a lot, and enjoy its speed, word filtering as I type in new words, and breadth of words covered. When I reopen the app it defaults to my last word searched, which is a good reminder/reinforcement tool. But here's my suggested fix: From that point, I should be able to press the search button and my old word goes away. The way it is now I press the search button AND THEN have to delete the last search word from the search box. Two clicks, one completely unnecessary. Can't figure why the developer doesn't just clear out the box for me and give me a fresh start - what possible (frequent) reason would I want that last word filled in that box?!
Great definitions and origin of words I love it you can even use it offline
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 15, 2016
- Version: 10.0
- Size: 185 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Csaba Kertesz
- © 2008-2016 jDictionary Mobile
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.