Concise English Dictionary & Thesaurus
By jDictionary Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Concise English Dictionary & Thesaurus is the ideal, all-in-one reference, with a dictionary and a thesaurus combined in one handy, integrated app.
"The app’s clean interface, speed, and size make it a compelling and useful addition to the iPhone or iPod touch."
- Ben Boychuk, MACWORLD
● Concise English Dictionary uses one of the largest English dictionary databases. It includes up to 591,700 entries and more than 4.9 million words
● High quality audio pronunciation (available in American, British and Australian English, in both male and female voices)
● 134,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
● Word origins (etymologies)
● Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance
(just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
● Clear and precise definitions
● Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Concise English Dictionary includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms, idioms, prepositions, conjunctions, determiners, interjections, abbreviations, contractions, common misspellings, irregular forms and even Old English words
● Thesaurus functionality with word links
● Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing
● Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth-scrolling screens
● Editable history/bookmarks function
● Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
● Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
● No internet connection required
● Powered by iSpeech® technology
What's New in Version 9.4
● Etymologies (word origins)
You will find a clear and brief account of the origins, history, and sense-development of a major part of the modern English vocabulary.
For example, you will learn that the word 'quarantine' comes from Italian quarantina (“forty”), from quarantina giorni (“forty days”). Originally when a ship arriving in port was suspected of being infected with a malignant, contagious disease, its cargo and crew were obliged to forego all contact with the shore for a period of around forty days.
● Database updates
● UI improvements
● Bug fixes
Excellent dictionary, good UI, abundance of words.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Aug 21, 2015
- Version: 9.4
- Size: 50.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Csaba Kertesz
- © 2008-2016 jDictionary Mobile
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.