Concise Oxford English Dictionary with Audio
By MobiSystems, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Concise Oxford English Dictionary is the most popular dictionary of its kind around the world and is noted for its clear, succinct definitions as well as its comprehensive and authoritative coverage of the vocabulary of the English-speaking world. It includes over 50,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, available in both British & American voice versions, including those with controversial or variant pronunciations.
* Over 240,000 words, phrases, and definitions, covering technical and scientific vocabulary as well as English from around the world
* Hundreds of new words and phrases, based on the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus
* New usage notes on tricky vocabulary and grammar usage
Over 100 years after its first publication, the twelfth edition of this world-famous bestseller provides the most up-to-date picture of the English language today. The original 1911 edition, revolutionary at the time for its focus on current English and its use of illustrative examples, combined a succinct yet approachable style with coverage of everyday as well as specialist terms. This centenary edition continues this ground-breaking tradition, giving you rich authoritative coverage of English as it is used today.
This is a mobile dictionary with content from Oxford University Press and advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
SEARCH TOOLS – effortlessly find words using a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface. The integrated search tools activate automatically the moment you start typing:
* Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
* Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
* An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
* Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
LEARNING TOOLS – engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
* ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
* ‘Recent’ list to help you easily review looked-up words
* ‘Word of the day’ section to help expand your vocabulary every day
IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE DEVELOPERS:
If you have any questions, feedback or suggestions please contact us directly at email@example.com.
What's New in Version 8.1.3
* Performance improvements
* Bug fixes
I bought this app for a paper I'm writing for college and I needed it to be able to look up the first attestation, source, and date certain words first appeared. My professor said we were only allowed to use the OED and since it's not free online, I bought this app. Yet it was vastly disappointing as it gave me none of that information. And now I'm back to square one on my research and I have lost $12 to this lousy app. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent good and solid dictionary. I purchased it for study, writing papers etc and have found it well worth it.
It has also settled a few pub debates. :-)
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Aug 28, 2015
- Version: 8.1.3
- Size: 134 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan
- Seller: MobiSystems, Inc.
- © 2015 MobiSystems, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.