Confession: A Roman Catholic App
By Little i Apps, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Designed to be used in the confessional, this app is the perfect aid for every penitent. With a personalized examination of conscience for each user, password protected profiles, and a step-by-step guide to the sacrament, this app invites Catholics to prayerfully prepare for and participate in the Rite of Penance. Individuals who have been away from the sacrament for some time will find Confession: A Roman Catholic App to be a useful and inviting tool.
The text of this app was developed in collaboration with Rev. Thomas G. Weinandy, OFM, Executive Director of the Secretariat for Doctrine and Pastoral Practices of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and Rev. Daniel Scheidt, pastor of Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Mishawaka, IN. The app received an imprimatur from Bishop Kevin C. Rhodes of the Diocese of Fort Wayne ‚Äì South Bend. It is the first known imprimatur to be given for an iPhone/iPad app.
- Custom examination of Conscience based upon age, sex, and vocation (single, married, priest, or religious)
- Multiple user support with password protected accounts
- Ability to add sins not listed in standard examination of conscience
- Confession walkthrough including time of last confession in days, weeks, months, and years
- Choose from 7 different acts of contrition
- Custom interface for iPad
- Full retina display support
New in 2.0!
- Three new languages! Spanish, Portugese, and Italian
- Three new vocations! Deacon (Married), Deacon (Single), and Seminarian
- Swipe to move between commandments
- MANY new sins in every examination
- Several bug fixes
Please let us know what you think. If you experience any issues, please let us know so that we can work on fixing the issues. http://www.littleiapps.com/contact.php
Nihil Obstat: Reverend Monsignor Michael Heintz, PhD
Imprimatur: + Kevin C. Rhoades
Bishop of Fort Wayne-South Bend
What's New in Version 3.0.1
- Bug fix for some users experiencing crashes
- Improved stability
Free versions work better
I got this app when it first came out, and I now use it for just three purposes:
1) Keeping track of when I last received the sacrament
2) Reminding me of the prayers within Confession, especially the Act of Contrition (there are 7 different versions, so if you start getting bored with one, you can mix it up by using another)
3) Catechesis/evangelization, in walking my PSR students through the Rite and showing others what it looks like.
That said, the app has many serious shortfalls, some of which can be attributed to a lack of updates and bug fixes in the past few years:
1) The User settings are buggy. I do not have children, yet as soon as I open the Examination of Conscience, for some reason the App changes my settings to that of a mother. So my custom Examination of Conscience is littered with irrelevant concerns, such as how I am raising my children and relating to their father.
2) The best feature of this app is the custom Examination of Conscience. It is supposed to take account your gender, age, vocation, and whether you have children to create an Examination of Conscience that is most likely to fit your lifestyle. When I first got the app, this was a functional and very powerful feature, alone worth the price of the app. However, with the aforementioned bug that keeps changing my profile to say that I have kids, the custom Examination of Conscience is virtually useless now.
The Confession App is an excellent tool for those like me who are coming back to the sacrament after long time. It challenges the user to examine his or her behavior through the lens of several prompts framed under each of the commandments which can be done multiple times before each visit to the confessional. Once you finally make it there, this tallying of sins is particularly useful so that you can accurately report both the offense and the number of times committed. Also included are multiple versions of the Act of Contrition and a general "walk-through" of how to properly preparebfor the sacrament. I recommend this for anyone who is returning to confession after a long absence!
Great tool for Reconciliation—Love This App!
This app provides a thorough Examination of Conscience for those who don't already have their own go-to method. I love that you can add "items" to and customize your EoC. Also wonderful because it walks you through what to do and say during Confession, with options to pick your favorite version of different prayers like the Act of Contrition. My favorite feature is that it keeps track of how long it's been since you made your last confession—that's always the part I forget! (I suppose that means I'm not going often enough...) Glad they fixed whatever bug was causing it to crash. Definitely a good download!
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: Nov 11, 2014
- Version: 3.0.1
- Size: 3.8 MB
- Languages: English, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Little i Apps, LLC
- © 2011 Little i Apps, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.