By Connected Data
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Transporter app allows you to access files stored on Transporter devices. Transporter owners and those they invite to share folders can use this free app to access, upload, download, and share files from anywhere in the world.
Learn More At: http://www.filetransporter.com
- Access all files stored on your Transporter(s)
- Back up full quality photos taken with your iOS device to your Transporter
What's New in Version 2.1.11
- Minor interface improvements
- Fixes several bugs that could occur when trying to upload files
- Improves connection time to Transporters when the app first launches
Minimum Viable Product
I really like Transporter, and I’d glad they have a workable iOS app for the service. But it’s just that - workable. It’s really not a great app, and it does detract from the beauty of the service. Here’s a few items that I’m hoping for (and that are not supported at all by the current version AFAIK):
1. Download folders to device for offline access, not just files
2. Allow access to downloaded files while offline
3. (Reference the above two points) Add a means of “Favoriting” files/folders to keep them around while offline
4. Real Photo browsing - seriously, browsing my photo library on this app is a pain. No thumbnails, so I have to tap a picture and wait for download before I can see what it is. Try enjoying a folder of 1000+ photos that way. No fun. At least show my thumbnails so I can see what I’m looking for.
5. Stream videos - currently the app requires the entire file to be downloaded before viewing, which is really a letdown if you want to watch a 1.5GB movie from your Transporter. Please add basic bufferred playback support.
I’ll update this review for future updates.
Basic, lacking key features
There are a couple of key feature missing from this app.
1) The ability to automatically place photos taken by an iOS device onto the transporter. This is a key part of my workflow and would really make this a suitable replacement for Dropbox.
2) the app needs to improve its ability to be/stay logged in to the Transporter. This seems to take too much time, although it might be more dependent on the internet than the app.
The app could also use some of the sync features offered by other apps to Dropbox. It would be great to sync TextExpander snippets and the like using the Transporter instead of the Dropbox. Will take time I think for the other developers to adopt this capability.
Overall good, but...
I'm very happy with the abilities of my Transporter Sync, and the app is overall pretty good, but it seems to crash occasionally, and when I switch from wifi to cellular data it seems to hang up.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 12, 2014
- Version: 2.1.11
- Size: 3.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Connected Data Inc
- © 2013 Connected Data
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.