Contra Costa Times
By MediaNews Group
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Printed on your iPad.
e-Edition keeps the Contra Costa Times at your fingertips, with every article and picture intact - even the funnies. And our iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch version delivers all the content with a faster, simpler interface:
* World-class national and global news, plus in-depth local coverage from the Contra Costa Times newsroom.
* Entertainment with the latest on movies, music, dining and other great stuff to see and do.
* On-the-money Business news, an all-star Sports section and much more.
* Razor-sharp views of every word, photo and image exactly as it appears in print.
* Streamlined navigation for readers on the go: Flip pages, zoom on articles, rotate to landscape mode.
* Tap any article with two fingers to convert to full-screen text.
* Includes archive access to every issue published in the past 30 days.
If you like our app, please remember to leave a five-star rating in iTunes. This motivates us to continue to deliver the best in local news for our audience.
What's New in Version 2.5.56
This update significantly improves overall performance and adds operational enhancements to streamline reading and navigation!
New initial displays
- iPad - In landscape, the display initially shows a single page and the headline index. In portrait, a single page is scaled to fit-width.
- iPhone/iTouch - In landscape, the display initially shows a two page spread. In portrait, a single page is scaled to fit-height.
Tap and read/zoom:
- Taps are now more native! A single tap on a story, ad or graphic will display that item in a separate reading window. Swipe L/R to previous/next story, pinch to size.
- A double tap on a page and display will zoom where tapped. A second double tap returns page to default size. Pinch out to zoom.
- To change the default settings to your preferences, go to the Options > Settings screen. New designs and organization:
- New fonts, layouts, icons and labels simplify and ease use.
Read off-line or on-line:
- Faster on-line reading, uses less bandwidth.
- Select edition to download for off-line reading or select off-line reading as the default.
- Special low-bandwidth mode ideal when roaming.
- To change the default settings to your preferences, go to the Options > Settings screen.
-Receive availability alerts for each new edition.
- Enhanced page and type display quality.
- Faster downloading and display, improved gesture response.
- Stability improvements and general bug fixing.
- Updates to improve Twitter and Facebook support.
It's 90% of a good app with the other 10% being infuriating
After the past few days I'm downgrading my '2 star review to a '1'. If I could make it a -5 Star I would. I can't get in to the paper for more than 30 seconds; and it takes a loooong load time to get to that point. It's completely unreadable as a paper and so maddening I think it's raising my blood pressure. There's no way to get into the app to look for a tech support link, of course.
I really don't say this lightly, but they should fire the people responsible for this app.
My previous review is below......
Mostly, the app does what it is supposed to do - shows a page by page display, and an index to allow jumping from section to section. Maybe the slow load/response time is on my side, rather than the software.
That said, the crashes are maddening. I'm writing this review because I was bounced out of the app twice in 3 minutes. .. It makes me want to drop the subscription. Also, from time to time, the pages come in and out of focus repeatedly, like some demonic device aimed at giving you a major case of eyestrain. Please,CCT, fix this app!!!
I didn't receive my paper again today and since they don't redeliver as they say they will I thought I would give the app a try. I quickly found that like their delivery service their App is also garbage. It works great until you want to get to page two and then it crashes. Relaunch and it says I have no internet access while all of my other apps including Safari don't seem to have this problem. Restart the iPad and the app and I get to page two...yay! I get to the end of section A and try to go to the next page and Crash! After about two hours of trying to read the online version of the paper with crashes, reboots and an overall enraging experience I have given up.
Stability somewhat better, but now I have to login EVERYDAY to open the paper? IV been using this for a couple of years password-free, now you have to verify it daily?!? You make it more and more difficult to use...
The latest update is horrible! Crashed 4 times before I got to page A9...yesterday it crashed no fewer than 8 times while attempting to read the paper. Pages go in and out of focus while reading, even after turning off "online mode". Whatever they were trying to improve has been lost in all the bugs...
- Category: News
- Updated: Dec 19, 2014
- Version: 2.5.56
- Size: 24.2 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian
- Seller: Media News Group
- © (c) 2011 MediaNews Group
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.