Contrast Media is a user-friendly app designed by academic radiologists to help you choose the safest contrast agent (iodine or gadolinium) when imaging patients with renal impairment. It is an easy and convenient way to help healthcare professionals in their daily practices, including nurses, physician assistants, radiology technologists, radiographers, medical students, interns, residents, clinicians, surgeons, oncologists, nephrologists, urologists, gastroenterologists, radiologists and other medical specialists.
Choosing the right agent for the right patient remains a challenge, and one should always weigh the risks and benefits of each option. This app provides a simple and practical approach to minimize the risk of developing NSF and CIN.
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) or CT (Computed Tomography) ?
Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis (NSF) vs. Contrast-induced Nephropathy (CIN)
Everything you need at your fingertips!
• Simple, secure and intuitive.
* Evidence-based content. Includes sources of information and references.
* Very good usability and functionality.
* Risk stratification and recommended action based on eGFR. Estimates the risks of NSF and CIN after intravenous (IV) administration of contrast media (not intra-arterial injection!).
* Metformin and contrast media: guidelines based on eGFR.
* Interactive pre-procedural checklist.
• Simple and practical recommendations on how to proceed in patients with renal impairment referred for CECT/CEMRI.
• An updated overview of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF) and contrast-induced nephropathy (CIN).
• Contrast Media Facts (more information about CM).
* No ads, subscriptions or in-app purchasing.
* No Internet connection required. It is fully functional when offline.
* No login or sign up required and no personal data collected from the user.
Contrast Media App was one of the top Apps in 2017 according to Diagnostic Imaging Magazine.
Article published on Pubmed
"This app aggregates multiple eGFR calculators into a single app and integrates text-based contrast imaging decision support. Data for both CIN and NSF for respective contrast media subclasses are conveniently centralized and summarized, with tailored presentation of evidence-based risk estimates and suggested protocol guidance for a given eGFR”.
J Digit Imaging 2017; 30:141-143.
About the authors:
Sandro Fenelon, MD
Attending Radiologist, Abdominal Imaging Division
Sao Paulo State Cancer Institute (ICESP), University of Sao Paulo, School of Medicine, Department of Radiology and Oncology, Brazil
Frederico F. de Souza, MD
Director, Body Imaging Division
Assistant Professor of Radiology
University of Mississippi Medical Center, UMMC, USA
The U.S. FDA´s Regulation and Oversight of Mobile Medical Applications:
* This app is NOT considered to be a medical device and FDA´s regulation is NOT applicable.
NEW features added:
• Metformin and Contrast Media: guidelines based on eGFR.
• Pre-procedural Checklist.
• Bug fixes.
- Sandro Fenelon
- 1.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Portuguese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- © Sandro Fenelon
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.