CosmAtlas is a powerful Milky Way simulator for iPhone and iPad devices, which applies real physics to calculate every single celestial body position at any time between the year 0 to year 9999.
With this educational App you'll be able to navigate across the astronomical distances in our cosmos, land on the major planets and satellites and see the sky from there or read about it.
- More than 400 Solar System bodies, including:
- The 8 major planets;
-177 Solar System natural satellites;
- 295 comets (including the legendary Halley's Comet);
- 11 dwarf planets (including Pluto);
- 3 major asteroid groups: Asteroid Belt, Kuiper Belt, Oort Cloud;
- 1449 nearby bright stars;
- The 88 modern constellations;
- Real physics (celestial mechanics) on the objects positioning in relation of time;
- See the sky from the surface of the major planets/dwarf planets, the sun and major satellites;
- A few terrestrial planets and satellites will have an approximate terrain if your on the surface;
- Atmospheric effects also tuned to the reality (that includes twilight sky colours).
Six languages available to maximise the educational reach:
Performance improvements and compatibility fixes for iOS 8.1+.
Ratings and Reviews
Certainly cool, but crashes when you try to go to certain planets
Excellent Astronomy App
I am constantly looking for astronomy apps like this one. They are too few and far between. So, when I came across this it was a sheer delight. The only knock I can think of is that the developer hasn't updated the app since 2014 but I can live with that. I can spend hours long around inside this app. There's a wealth of great info and any future updates can only improve upon this great foundation!
Blew my mind!
I have all the various astronomy apps and this one does something really special, it gives a dimensional view of the constellations. You actually get a really idea of the distance between the stars that form the constellations. Well done!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.