Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Take a tour of the galaxy on your Mac with Cosmic Crawler! Unlike most planetarium software, Cosmic Crawler doesn't confine you to the surface of the Earth and is not limited to giving you maps of constellations, but rather a fully immersive cosmic exploration experience. You can travel throughout the solar system and the galaxy to any of over 100,000 stars, planets, comets, asteroids, spacecraft, extra-solar planets and more. View them in their actual positions and surroundings at any point in space and time, orbit them, travel with them, find eclipses on any body and observe the actual workings of the solar system and galaxy. Jump to any location in the galaxy or fly through the cosmos. Orbit planets and moons illustrated with amazing skins created from NASA and ESA photography. You can even visit extra-solar planets!
Trace Cassini's journey to Saturn, follow Apollo 11 to the moon or orbit the red planet with the Mars Global Surveyor.
All movement in Cosmic Crawler is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters down to a specific spacecraft only a few meters across. A 'point-and-go' interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the object you want to visit.
Cosmic Crawler is also highly customizable with dozens of options and configurations including multiple views/screens.
- Jump to an object or use the object browser, loaded with thousands of objects including planets, comets, asteroids, spacecraft, stars, extra-solar planets and other galaxies. You can even view specific features on objects within the solar system, such as the mountains of Mars or the frozen plains of Europa.
- Follow an object through time or use the orbit, lock phase or chase modes at any range.
- Use the eclipse finder to view future or past eclipses on Earth, the moon, or any planet in the solar system.
- Fly through space using game-like controls for pitch, yaw and roll. Look forward or backward as you fly or track a space object. Fly as fast as you like, even 1 light year per second, the speed of light is not a constraint in Cosmic Crawler.
- Accelerate or reverse time to any point and at any speed. Jump millions of years into the future or past or watch time unfold with amazing animations. You can also view and factor in light speed delays.
- Display labels and orbits for all categories of celestial objects, constellation figures and/or boundaries, a space coordinate system and many other special features.
- Adjust your display settings with dozens of options including star style, brightness, resolution, texture, field of view settings and more.
- Split you screen into multiple subviews to visualize different object simultaneously or the same object from multiple view points.
- Keep track of interesting objects by saving it and the current view via the "Favorites" menu.
- Use the full screen mode for a fully immersive experience
What's New in Version 3.1.1
Bug fixes relating to crashes for some users.
Help for people who are whining about this app not working
This is the best space app I have ever used! I have no clue what you all are whining about, there is nothing wrong with this app. I have a 24-inch mid 2011 iMac, yet sometimes it can get messed up, so I just restart the program. If it won't start for you, I don't know what the tell you. Just don't make a review or rate it bad because you can't get it to start! Just send a bug to iCoder web site! They most likely rarely look at the reviews. I hope you will think about getting this amazing app. I would suggest that only people who know lots and lots about space and related topics (like me) should get this and make sure you have a good computer like mine, and maybe you need Lion if it won't start for you, and make sure you have your iMac up to date like how it says in Information, "Requirements: Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later." If even still it won't work, this may be a long shot, check to see if there may be one of those real rare mac virus on your computer that you got from something, and no, you couldn't have gotten a virus from this app. If there was a virus on this app, for one, the app would have been removed from the store long ago, and of course then I wouldn't be writing this real long review in the first place! I hope this helps all of you who are to stupid to know how to fix your computer.
P.S. I am not a developer of this app or anything like that! I am just a someone who bought this app and likes it.
I don't like it
I was completely unsuccessful at navigating to a close up view of Mars,or anything else for that matter,even after I center it I still fly off to the side and it happens too fast to correct it and now I am looking at stars. Often when I type someting into the" go to" box it lists it as object not found,even for simple stuff like Andromeda galaxy. Sometimes the screen is blank. Sometimes it puts me inside the atmosphere of the planet or star and I am stuck there with nothing to look at. The demo movie is neat to watch but other than that this thing has been worthless,I think it needs a whole lot of work to become at all useable. I am very disappointed, and not at all satisfied. oh well,not the first time I have spent money on an app I promptly delete...
Best Galactic App Ever!!
I love this app! It runs perfectly and I'm exploring the solar system, other stars, their extrasolar planets and other galaxies!! Best $3 ever spent!
If it doesn't work properly the first time, just uninstall and reinstall it. It seriously makes you feel like an astronomer!
I HAVE AN ENITRE DIFFERENT OUTLOOK ON SPACE NOW BECAUSE OF THIS WONDERFUL APP THAT EVERYONE WITH A MAC SHOULD OWN!!!
(controls are expert, for a simpler look at the solar system, other stars and our galaxy with simple controls download "Solar Walk" same price but not as cool)