By Fifth Star Labs LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Cosmographia is a Solar System simulation that combines beautiful 3D graphics with real data for the positions and appearances of planets, moons, dwarf planets, asteroids and spacecraft. Navigate freely throughout the Solar System and adjust the time to observe past, current, and future events.
The incredible graphics are a great showcase for a new computer, with dynamic shadows and reflections, realistic planetary atmospheres and beautifully rendered star fields.
* Cosmographia makes intensive use of the graphics processing unit, and the current version of the app does not support older computers with Intel GMA 950 graphics processors.
With Cosmographia, you can:
- See high resolution maps for all planets and moons that have been visited by NASA and ESA spacecraft.
- Follow the Cassini mission to Saturn as it cruises low over the surfaces of icy moons. Or, ride along with the Dawn mission to the giant asteroids Vesta and Ceres.
- View eclipses on Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, and other worlds.
- Fly along with Earth-orbiting satellites. Find out when the International Space Station, Hubble, and others will be over your home town.
- Watch volcanic eruptions on Jupiter's moon Io.
- Zoom in on an extremely high resolution map of the Earth, with individual roads and buildings visible. Switch between different maps for each month and see changes in snow cover and vegetation.
- See all 500,000+ known asteroids orbit the Sun.
- Watch aurora borealis flickering above the Arctic Circle.
- Capture images and record Quicktime movies of everything on screen.
- Follow near-Earth asteroid 2011 MD through its close approach in June 2011.
- Supports an anaglyph stereo mode that works with red/blue 3D glasses.
Cosmographia includes short articles about over 50 Solar System bodies. Each description contains links to live viewpoints, so you can quickly check out interesting objects and events in the Solar System.
What's New in Version 1.4.0
New Solar System gallery screen for quickly navigating to planets, moons and asteroids
Planetary atlas: labels for surface features of planets and moons
Detailed 3D model of the asteroid Vesta
Trajectory and information about the newly discovered near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14
Added switch to select between metric and Imperial/US units
New distance measuring tool: choose any two objects and display the distance between them and their relative speed
Great app with stunning graphics. If you've got a new-ish Mac, turn on anti-aliasing and enable the Milky Way background and you'll want to just leave this app running in the background as you go about your other tasks. Speed up time, and center the earth on your screen, bring up some ambient music in iTunes, then sit back and enjoy.
And I love the iPad version. My 4 year old is learning tons from it.
Unusably slow on Retina Macbook
I really like this program and wish I could say something better about it. After upgrading to Retina Macbook (OSX 10.8.2) it still crashes and/or freezes my system (force quit won't work) and is now unusably slow in addition. Automatic graphics switching is disabled, I even created a new account on my notebook to prevent it from reading any old configuration data. Sadly, nothing I tried helps.
=> great concept, severe technical problems at least for me
Please provide a fix soon. I will rate it 5 stars if you do.
Please Fix Preformance for Retina MacBook
I have a 15' macbook pro retina with a 2.6 GHz i7. The program is chugging at an ubearable 2 fps. I couldn't imagine that the problem is that my mac is to slow or is not fast enough since it is new and has even a faster processor than my old macbook (on which is ran pretty well by the way). I love the program, but completly unusable. PLEASE FIX IT!