By Fifth Star Labs LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Immerse yourself in the most realistic and beautiful Solar System simulation available for the iPad.
Cosmographia has been designed with obsessive attention to accuracy and detail. It combines stunning 3D graphics with real data for the positions and appearances of planets, moons, dwarf planets, asteroids and spacecraft. Fly along with the Cassini mission to Saturn, orbit a giant asteroid or watch eclipses on Jupiter. Everything is drawn at full Retina resolution on the new iPad (and standard resolution on older devices.)
Cosmographia includes descriptions and data for all the objects you'll visit, so you have the story behind the visuals. All text is original and customized for Cosmographia, full of links that take you to live 3D views of interesting events and spectacular Solar System vistas.
* Navigate freely throughout the Solar System and change the time to observe past, current, and future events.
* Tap the screen to hide the user interface and enjoy perfectly uncluttered space vistas--like looking out the window of a spaceship.
* Experience interplanetary missions, including Cassini, MSL (Curiosity), Voyager 1 & 2, Dawn, and NEAR.
* Track the current positions of the International Space Station and the Hubble Space Telescope. Zoom in on one of these spacecraft and experience what it's like to spacewalk in low Earth orbit.
* Enable the gyroscope at any time to turn your tablet into a moveable window on the universe. Experience what it's like to float near the International Space Station or stand on the surface of a moon of Jupiter.
* High resolution maps for all moons and planets visited by spacecraft.
* Detailed models of asteroids and spacecraft with realistic lighting.
What's New in Version 1.7.0
* More detailed maps for the Earth, Moon, and Mars
* Added MSL / Curiosity mission: track it from Earth through descent into Gale Crater on Mars
* Added Pioneer 10 and 11 missions
* New mission status button to quickly view both interplanetary and Earth-orbiting spacecraft
* New icons
* Save time zone setting
* More asteroids
* Minor bug fixes
When I first bought this app a while back it worked great. Would have given it five stars. Then problems started. First Titan's clouds aren't there anymore even when clouds are turned "On." Next I noticed Uranus is no longer there, only the rings and moons remain. Now a few days ago Saturn disappeared except it's rings and moons just like Uranus. App needs more updates to fix these problems. Get Solar Walk instead.
I like this app very much. Was very disappointed when I got it, planets are missing along with a few more missing items. My kids wanted to get this app for themselves, but I told them not to, because of these issues. When it is updated I will then see about getting it for my children.
Where is Saturn?
I have no idea when I open the program whether or not I will be able to see the planet Saturn. I do see the rings around Saturn but it's as if Saturn is invisible. I am using an iPad 3 so I'm not sure if it is my iPad or if it is the program. Otherwise it is my favorite astronomy program.