CotEditor is a light-weight, neat, yet powerful text editor designed for editing plain-text files such as web pages (HTML, CSS), program source codes (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.), structured texts (Markdown, Textile, TeX, etc.), or any other kind of plain-text.
Just For Mac
The application is exactly made for macOS. CotEditor looks and behaves just as macOS applications should. It means, you already know how to use it even on the first launch. There are no complex configuration files that require geek knowledge so that you can access all your settings including syntax definitions and themes from a standard preferences window.
Quick, Easy, and Powerful
CotEditor launches so quick that you can write your text immediately when you want to. It's perfect for you to write a draft version of your document or a scratch code. The simply organized user interface doesn't disturb your task. However, at the same time, CotEditor is neither a software only for beginners nor a typical minimal “zen-style” editor. It is fully customizable. There are, of course, syntax highlighting feature for various languages, find and replace with the regular expression, auto-indentation, command-line tool, and lots of other deep functions. You can also easily write your own macro in your favorite languages.
• Syntax highlighting including more than 50 preset languages
• Powerful find and replace with the regular expression
• Auto-backup with/without overwriting actual document files
• Line numbers view
• Live character/word/line count
• Handling file encoding and line endings with care
• Auto-generated outline menu for fast navigation
• Character inspector that shows the zoomed glyph and Unicode information
• Vertical text layout mode
• Various Unicode normalizations
• Semi-transparent window
• Command-line tool
• Scriptable with your favorite language
• JCK-languages friendly
• RTL writing direction support
- Fix an issue where toolbar items did not reflect their state on macOS 10.12 or earlier.
- Fix margin around the Tab toolbar icon on macOS 10.12 or earlier.
Ratings and Reviews
A Wonderful Surprise
I was looking for a plain, simple text file editor and stumbled upon CotEditor. What a wonderful surprise! Not only is CotEditor a text file editor but a very full featured one. I’ve only been using it for a day and continue to find useful little features that CotEditor has built into it. I’m installing this at work and at home. Thank you very much. This is one of those free applications for which I would gladly pay a reasonable price!
Opens so quickly!
Works great with Alfred App and "Open with...". Did I mention it opens quickly? I haven't done tests with large files but for quickly getting at a text file it's great.
Excellent. Top shelf software.
CotEditor is easy to use, full-featured and just plain looks gorgeous. I had never heard of this app before - what an amazing surprise.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.