CotEditor is a light-weight, neat, yet powerful text editor designed for editing plain-text files such as web pages (HTML, CSS), program source codes (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.), structured texts (Markdown, Textile, TeX, etc.), or any other kind of plain-text.
Just For Mac
The application is exactly made for macOS. CotEditor looks and behaves just as macOS applications should. It means, you already know how to use it even on the first launch. There are no complex configuration files that require geek knowledge so that you can access all your settings including syntax definitions and themes from a standard preferences window.
Quick, Easy, and Powerful
CotEditor launches so quick that you can write your text immediately when you want to. It's perfect for you to write a draft version of your document or a scratch code. The simply organized user interface doesn't disturb your task. However, at the same time, CotEditor is neither a software only for beginners nor a typical minimal “zen-style” editor. It is fully customizable. There are, of course, syntax highlighting feature for various languages, find and replace with the regular expression, auto-indentation, command-line tool, and lots of other deep functions. You can also easily write your own macro in your favorite languages.
• Syntax highlighting including more than 50 preset languages
• Powerful find and replace with the regular expression
• Auto-backup with/without overwriting actual document files
• Line numbers view
• Live character/word/line count
• Handling file encoding and line endings with care
• Auto-generated outline menu for fast navigation
• Multi-cursor editing
• Character inspector that shows the zoomed glyph and Unicode information
• Vertical text layout mode
• Various Unicode normalizations
• Semi-transparent window
• Command-line tool
• Scriptable with your favorite language
• JCK-languages friendly
- Multi-cursor editing.
- Add “Opacity” toolbar item to change editor's opacity.
- Add “Surround Selection With” > “Square Brackets” menu item.
- Restore more UI state on window restoration.
- Delete sequential paces character by character when they are not located at the beginning of a line even if “Expand tabs to spaces” option is enabled.
- Keep selections after performing “Duplicate Lines.”
- Remember the last used custom characters for “Surround Selection with Custom Characters” action.
- Fix an issue where “Replace All” could fail when the text to find is a combining character such as a diacritical mark.
- Fix an issue where lines did not wrap correctly with vertical text orientation.
- Fix an issue where the last syntax style was not applied when an unsaved document was restored from the last session.
- Fix an issue where auto-completion could cancel suddenly under a restricted condition.
- Fix an issue where the line wrap width of a split view could be set shorter than the actual view if scroll bars are set to be always visible.
- Fix an issue where the year in the print header or console prompt was displayed wrongly in specific days.
- Fix an issue where closed windows remained on the memory.
- Address an issue where selected ranges were set wrongly after updating the document due to an external modification.
- Fix a possible issue where word counting could be stuck.
Ratings and Reviews
Really fast for editing small files
This is the fastest editor I have seen for working with small text files. I love the clean, simple interface; and especially the speed with which it launches. However, I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 for two reasons:
(1) I think the "Enable Auto Save with Versions” feature is a bit dangerous. I did a Find to search for text, but instead of hitting “Find All”, I hit “Replace All” by mistake. I could not figure out how to undo my change, so I closed the main window thinking that I had not saved my file. But the file was auto-saved with the unintentional change. I now know that I could have closed the Find window, at which point “Undo Replace All” would have appeared as an option under the Edit menu. However, I think that “Enable Auto Save with Versions” is not a good feature for novices. The default setting should be false.
(2) I would really like to see a “Whole Word” checkbox in Find window.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind review. In response to your second request, I've added "Match only whole Word" option to find panel (in "Advanced find options" via the gear button in the find panel) on CotEditor 3.6.1. Regarding the first comment, we will not change the default setting of Auto Save because it is nowadays the standard behavior of macOS applications. Please just turn it off if you want to avoid.
I thought I'd try app this out, as I've been looking for a simple text editor that supported markdown. And I was blown away by the robust features that came with this 'simple' text editor. I use like the app 'Drafts' as a starting point for all things text, and then I export (share) them to my other apps. This allows me to work with text in many ways without bogging down my computer with all the memory overhead of the other editors.
To the developer: You should really be charging something for this to allow you to keep developing it, it's that goodd.
A Wonderful Surprise
I was looking for a plain, simple text file editor and stumbled upon CotEditor. What a wonderful surprise! Not only is CotEditor a text file editor but a very full featured one. I’ve only been using it for a day and continue to find useful little features that CotEditor has built into it. I’m installing this at work and at home. Thank you very much. This is one of those free applications for which I would gladly pay a reasonable price!
- Mineko IMANISHI
- 28.4 MB
- macOS 10.12.2 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2005-2009 nakamuxu, 2011, 2014 usami-k, 2013-2019 1024jp
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.