By The Active Network, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***iOS 7 GPS Tracking Update***
Many applications are experiencing GPS issues with iOS7. Within Settings, there is a new feature called, "Background App Refresh". This must be enabled for an app to continue to run while in the background. To ensure your GPS works properly go to Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh, and move the switch next to the Couch to 5k app to the on position.
For additional support please contact us at: MobileSupport@activenetwork.com. We would love to hear from you.
WINNER of the 2012 Appy Award for best Healthcare & Fitness App!
"The popular Couch-to-5K app helps new runners avoid injury from doing too much, too soon."
—Runners World, June 2012
"It's ridiculously easy to use (it's hard not to, as you just do what you're told) and it's fantastic that you have an encouraging voice talking you through things."
—Engadget, June 2012
Get off the couch with the OFFICIAL Couch-to-5K® training app from Active.com! This oft-imitated program has helped thousands of new runners move from the couch to the finish line. Spend just 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week, for nine weeks, and you’ll be ready to finish your first 5K (3.1-mile) race!
• Training plan designed by Active.com trainers
• Choose from 4 different motivating virtual coaches—Johnny Dead, Constance, Billie or Sergeant Block
• Hear real-human audio cues to guide you through each workout
• Listen to your favorite playlists with in-app music player
• Calculate your distance & pace and map your routes with FREE GPS support (requires iPhone 3G, 3GS, or iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0 or greater)
• Log your workouts, share your progress on Facebook and get support from the largest running community on Active.com Trainer
• Get an exclusive discount to register for a 5K in your area
• Repeat workouts and track your best performance
• Treadmill support allows manual entry of workouts
• Track your progress with total distance and average pace
• Graphs for workouts to compare distance and pace
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
"Active.com’s Couch-to-5K is one of my favorite couch-to-5K apps. With its customizable features, interactivity, and well-rounded interface, I may actually stay off the couch this time."
—148Apps, October 2011
"I knew as soon as I decided to start the Couch-to-5K program that I would need something to keep me accountable—not just to showing up for my training, but to actually doing it properly. Of course there’s an app for that."
—CalorieLab, April 2012
"If you have been struggling to get your buns off the couch and somewhat in shape before the summer hits, training for a 5K is not a bad way to start. If you are looking for a program to help get you there, then the “Couch-to-5K” running plan by CoolRunning is probably your best bet if you haven’t done an ounce of athletic activity for a number of years."
—Droid Life, April 2012
THIS APP AND ANY INFORMATION GIVEN BY IT OR THE ACTIVE NETWORK INC. ARE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED NORIMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER BEFORE BEGINNING ANY FITNESS PROGRAM. IN PARTICULAR, THE ACTIVITIES AND EXERCISES DESCRIBED IN TRAINING PROGRAMS ANDARTICLES ON ACTIVE CAN BE DANGEROUS AND MAY RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH. YOU MUST CONSULT WITH A LICENSED PHYSICIAN BEFORE PARTICIPATING IN ANY OF THE ACTIVITIES DESCRIBED IN THE APPLICATION.
What's New in Version 3.0.1
Keep on running! Now, once you have accomplished a 5k or just want to log an extra workout, you can! Keep moving and shaking by doing a FREE RUN on your own schedule!
A good start, but annoying flaws
I really liked this app to begin with (now Week 8 #3). I use it along with MapMyRun and an unforeseen awesome part is that it can use GPS without using cellular data (I am overseas right now). Here are the annoying bits:
1. You don't always hear the coach. Although I turned my ringer on and kept the app open (which as others note drains battery), I would find myself looking at the app to make sure I hadn't missed the direction to walk/run and I often had anyway. The whole point of this is to listen to a coach and not be checking the phone constantly which is distracting and potentially dangerous.
2. Too easy to erase record of your progress mid (or end) run. There are arrow buttons on either side of a pause sign underneath the timer. If you accidentally activate these (while picking up your phone with a hot, slippery hand to make sure you haven't missed the coach's direction) it will erase your distance. You will not get credit for what you've already completed in that segment. This has now happened to me 3 times. As my sister pointed out, it doesn't erase your actual physical progress, but for a paid app? C'mon now.
If these two things were fixed I'd be much happier, but I guess it's true that you have to mix up the workout regime to keep it interesting.
At 54 I am amazed of my accomplishments using this application. High blood pressure, high cholesterol and now diabetes, i saw the worst for my future. This at this very well done and is coaching me back to health. Not too hard, not too easy, but just right.
I've never been able to run very far. This app helped coach me the right way so I can get on track for long distance running without injury. I am truly amazed not only with the app but with my own progress.
I used to dread getting up in the morning, now I get up in the morning excited to run. I feel refreshed all day. I no longer go to sleep in the middle of the day. It's even encouraged me to start eating right. I feel so much but I can't say enough.
Thank you for your intuitive design. Don't think too long before getting this app just do it, you'll be amazed at how well you can progress.
I wish I could give it more than five stars, again I thank you.
Great concept, but frustrating reality
I just started using this app today and was super excited about it... until I realized that I can't hear the prompts to switch between walking & jogging when the phone is locked. I missed several jogs before I realized I have to keep checking the phone to make sure it's on. That's just ridiculous. I should be focused on my workout and my surroundings, not constantly fiddling with the phone to make sure the app is working. Why can't the trainer keep talking with a locked screen? It was still running & tracking my workout, I just didn't hear when to switch. Also, I clicked to turn off auto lock and yet, my phone still locked at some point, so I don't think that feature works either. It didn't vibrate at the halfway point either. Really love the concept of training properly for a 5K but frustrated with the poorly designed app that I paid for.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Jan 21, 2014
- Version: 3.0.1
- Size: 41.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: The Active Network, Inc
- © 2011 The Active Network, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.