By Dogfish Software Corporation
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This game is a tribute to the classic math puzzle game called CrossSums. Long before the popularity of Kakuro puzzles, people have been turning to puzzles like CrossSums as a way to keep their minds sharp as they age.
This full version contains 5 levels of challenging puzzles with increasing difficulty. The level 5 puzzles are extremely challenging for advanced puzzle solving fun.
A LITE/FREE version is also available and a great way to try out the challenge of level 1 puzzles. Level 1 puzzles have no more than 3 in a row and are designed for the beginner to get the hang of the strategies required to solve the puzzles.
This game provides a never ending supply of CrossSums puzzles because each puzzle is randomly generated on the fly.
This game has the following features:
* 50+ puzzle grids from novice to expert
* Dynamically generated endless puzzle possibilities
* Timer to keep track of the fastest solutions to each puzzle.
* Hints available to give a starting point on difficult puzzles
* Auto-complete for faster game play by automatically completing rows or columns where only one box remains empty.
* Highlight errors allows the game to show rows or columns with incorrect values.
What's New in Version 2.0
New in Version 2.0:
* (OS Version 3.0 ONLY) - added undo feature. Now you can undo your last moves back to the beginning of the puzzle even if you quit the game and come back. If you have the auto-complete feature turned on, the undo also properly reverts any entries entered automatically.
* New look and feel. The application now has a new color theme and the buttons and text have been rearranged for improved usability
* Each level now has a different sized grid. In version 1.0, each level just had smaller puzzles, but this version switches to a different sized grid for each level (level one uses a 6x8 grid, level two uses a 7x9, etc, up to the level 5 puzzles which use a 10x12 grid)
* There is now an auto-save timer that saves the game every minute to make sure you can always get back to where you left off
* Added a first time view. The first time you launch the application it will offer you the ability to review the help page and learn how to play the game.
* Added a keyboard click sound for feedback
Bugs fixed in Version 2.0
* Fixed double click bug to approve auto-entered value
* The application did not pause the puzzle if the game was interrupted (by a phone call or going to sleep). This version properly pauses the game so the timer does not run while interrupted.
* The currently selected cell is now saved off and restored when the game is stopped and started.
* If you have highlight errors turned on, the game now shows the errors when the game is restarted instead of waiting until the first entry is made
* Fixed a bug where the game could think that you have solved it, even if all of the boxes were not filled in.
Wavered between rating 1 or 2 stars but at least it's SOME kind of cross sums app. Vir4030 is spot-on in his review: There are no easily solved lines within the puzzles to get you started, which makes most of the puzzles unplayable unless you're Will Shortz. I seldom spend $$ on any app without carefully checking out reviews and ratings and this app reminds me why. I was so excited to find a cross sums game that I pounced on it. Big mistake. Screenshots above are deceptive; most of the puzzles appear to be small sections of a cross sums board, not the larger puzzles they show in the shots. Could be excellent if the boards were larger and there were a few solvable lines in the grid. It has the right idea for a cross sums app, it's just very poorly executed. This is one of those puzzle games that make me scream "Oh, when is Dell finally going to start producing apps?!?"
I love cross sums, but this is not the best app available. Look instead for "kakuro" and don't waste your money on this one. This is not a good app for beginners, nor for experienced players like myself. I was really disappointed with this app, as it has no ability to "pencil in" the options. I had the app set to notify me of wrong choices, but the right one didn't appear any different than wrong ones. Please take my advice, and that of other critics here, and don't bother wasting your money on this.
It's a Deleter
Unfortunately, the random generation concept doesn't work. It creates puzzles which have no easy path to solution, like the puzzles you get in magazines. I wish this weren't the case because I love these puzzles. I couldn't solve a single one in this app, even on the easy level.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Aug 14, 2009
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 2.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dogfish Software Corporation
- © 2009 Dogfish Software Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.