By Portable Knowledge, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
GoogleTalk, Facebook Chat, and XMPP IM (Jabber) client for iOS devices. Designed for the iPad, but equally useful on iPhone and compatible with iOS 4.
- Supports quick app switching on iOS4 (leave the app during a chat session to do something else, come back, and any messages sent to your during that time will show up)
- Complete integration with the Google Talk network, including support for Google Apps accounts
- Also compatible with any other XMPP/Jabber IM server
- NO 3rd party server -- all connections are directly from your device to your XMPP server (Google, Facebook, etc.)
- Send and receive Chat State Notifications (know when someone is writing a message to you!)
- XMPP Message Receipts: Sent text turns darker when your contact (with compatible client) has read the message you sent
- One-finger swipe to switch between multiple simultaneous chats
- See entire chat history (to and from all contacts) in one place, in real time
- Save and email chat transcripts
- Contacts integrated with device Address Book
- Contacts can be assigned to multiple groups
- Add and remove contacts within the app
- Supports multiple account configurations
- Auto-login on app start
What's next for Crosstalk?
We're actively working on the next version of Crosstalk. Upcoming features include:
- True, full support for Multi-User Chat (chat rooms)
- Off-the-Record chats (no chat history saved on server)
- User-settable presence (Available, Away, etc.)
- Privacy Lists
- Tighter integration with Facebook chat
- Other features as requested by users (leave us an email at the support address, or leave a comment -- but know that we can not respond to comments)
Remember, you can buy Crosstalk today and get all these features for free when updates come out!
What's New in Version 1.3
- Background notification of incoming chat messages has been removed (however, quick app switching is still supported -- you can leave the app briefly during a chat session and come back to see any messages sent to you)
- Fixes several issues causing periodic crashes (found in submitted crash logs - thanks for sending them in!)
- No longer disconnects from server after some recoverable errors (such as contact-loading errors)
- If a contact does not have a nickname set on the server, Crosstalk now checks the device address book for the contact's name (rather than displaying their address)
- Scrolling performance (especially in the chat center view) is greatly improved
Cross Talk Review (Version 1.3)
Overall this app doesnt come close to satisfying my needs in a chat client.
-Direct connection to chat services is nice.
-It was easy to set up my accounts in the application.
-Overall, the application responded very smoothly.
-I could only be logged into one account at a time.
-When typing a chat, the font would start REALLY large then shrink to REALLY small as you typed your message.
-There is no longer any support for background running. you have to be staring at the application to see if you receive any messages. this one is a HUGE killer to the application. if i wanted it to work this way, i would just use the safari based google talk application that is free.
Doesnt work in the Background
I found it better than oneteam, since it actually pushes my messages to my phone. Downside (and a very bad one) is that it does not show my msgs if my iphone is locked or in another app. It's funny how they mention it does work in the bg and it doesn't, even if you configure it in the "notifications" settings in your iphone.
Can't delete accounts?
The app not only keeps resolving the login user name incorrectly with letting you fix it, it also will not allow any accounts created to be deleted.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Oct 13, 2010
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 2.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Portable Knowledge, LLC
- © 2010 Portable Knowledge, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.