Descend into the Crossword Dungeon, where every level is made up of a procedurally-generated crossword, and each letter guarded by a vile monster you must best!
Guess the correct letter to instantly dispatch the monster, or risk combat damage if incorrect.
Test your wits against crosswords of increasing complexity and monsters with deadly abilities with one of three classes with their own unique skills:
The Barbarian, a muscled berserker who lives for the thrill of battle and feeds his rage with the blood of his enemies.
The Ranger, a feared hunter who uses a deadly combination of marksmanship and tracking instincts.
And the Scoundrel, a ne'er-do-well who makes the best of limited resources and subverts enemies' defenses with stealth attacks.
...each in search of riches and glory beneath the Crossword Dungeon.
Version 1.1.3 includes a huge update to content, bug fixes, a new monster (the Lich!), and a number of improvements and balance tweaks. More specifically:
- 300 new words!
- Lich: This late-game baddie will raise Skeleton Archers in nearby blank (or already solved) tiles!
- Raised Skeleton Archer: Same as the Skeleton Archer, but yields no XP.
- Level Up now shows two stats and two skills, and is better organized.
- Tip in menu detailing tap-hold to view Monster Info.
- Swapped order of hints, Across now shows on top of Down.
- Uncovered locked skill information in Character screen. You can now peek at skills for which you do not yet qualify.
- Monster Info shows monster XP.
- Ranged Attacks at a range larger than 1 now move at the same speed.
- Higher level monsters now give slightly less XP to compensate for the easier Level Up flow.
- Level panning threshold now slightly bigger, causing less unintended level pans.
- Time to tap-hold on a monster to show its Monster Info panel slightly lessened.
- Fixed a fatal crash caused by an improper word entry.
- Fixed a crash when a ranged attack kills you while descending to the next level.
- Fixed an issue where a Whirlwind miss would consume your Berzerker Rage.
- Fixed a bug where Multishot could kill a monster twice and yield double XP.
Ratings and Reviews
This version fixed a number of issues, added iPad support (no need to purchase again if you bought the iPhone version), and added a ton of words!
Good concept, dull game
I really liked the idea of a rogue/crossword hybrid but unfortunately this is far to much average crossword and very little rogue.
You'll wander around small crossword boards that slowly get bigger as you descend levels. I noticed the clues repeated in the few games I played. The clues aren't particularly taxing but since free movement isn't allowed unless you kill the monsters in your path you probably won't be doing much back-solving if you get stumped.
Killing a mob consists of picking one of a selection of letters. the correct letter is a crit and fills in the square, the wrong letter is a swing which allows the mob to attack back. If this sounds fun then I described it wrong.
From an RPG perspective the game is weaker. You level, choose something like strength or constitution or stun resistance and keep going. There are 3 classes but they didn't seem to change the pace of the game.
I would recommend avoiding this. I personally think Bookworm Adventures is still the best word/RPG hybrid you can play.
On a price note I found 1.99 to be far too expensive after playing this and regretted not having gotten a neuroshima hex army or some other expansion for a better game. Even at .99 I would avoid this unless the devs due some serious work on improving this.
Moderately enjoyable but needs work!!!
The game idea is a decent one- solve crosswords and level a rogue like hero. However the game needs a lot of work most importantly increasing the database of clues by a ton. At its current state you'll complete all the words in two or three hours of gameplay.
Things need to get more challenging too, for example boss fights would be a fun break from the grind. Integrating items in this would be a great way to expand the gameplay.
I do really enjoy the types of clues given. In most cases a trivia level knowledge of basic history, geography, chemistry, physics and literature. This is great as you don't need a superb vocabulary to enjoy this game, just general knowledge. I hope the devs will update this game and make it worth what I spent.
- 23.7 MB
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2015 Nolithius, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.