By Stand Alone, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"… the definitive source for puzzles for iOS…" -- the New York Times
Download and play crossword puzzles right on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one tap you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving!
The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just got even better!
• New: Sync your puzzles with Crosswords for Mac; Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
• Get new puzzles every day
• Touch and hold a square to view hints on iPad
• Enter Numbers and other special characters by holding down keys
• One tap downloads all of today's puzzles
• Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date or provider
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
• Grab older puzzles with a tap
• Tap the clue list with two fingers to adjust the font size (iPad only)
Included Puzzle Sources:
• Brendan Emmett Quigley's Weekly Puzzle
• Elizabeth C. Gorski's Crossword Nation
• Inkwell Crossword
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• The Independent
• King Features Crosswords (Joseph, Sheffer, and Premier)
• People Magazine (archives only)
• Andy Kravis, Cruciverbist at Law
• Glutton for Pun
• MacNamara’s Band
• Murchie’s Monday Fills
• Neville Fogarty
• Puzzle Express
• The Stickler Weekly
• World of Crosswords
Premium Crosswords subscription required:
• NY Times
• Matt Gaffney’s Crossword Contest
• Telegraph UK Quick, Toughie & Cryptic Crosswords
• American Values Crossword
• Crooked Crosswords
• Additional puzzles downloadable via the Puzzle Browser; browse the web and download more!
Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may still have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option.
• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com •
• You can tap on the clue text at the bottom of the screen to toggle across & down
• Rotate the screen to see both the puzzle and clues
• Touch for a moment then drag to precisely select a square.
• Touch the Plus to download older puzzles
Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Syncing puzzles to your Mac requires the purchase of Crosswords from the Mac App Store. Multiplayer requires iOS 6.0 or later.
What's New in Version 2.73
- fixed an issue with landscape on the iPhone 6+
Great app, excellent support. A favorite.
Developer recently had major website crash, they posted alerts on their Facebook page & on website intro page. Now everything is back in business. Addictive, a great way to exercise the brain. Top-notch customer support, always immediate responses. One of my 1st apps several years ago, still a favorite. I've given this app as a gift. Only downside: I wish there were more of the difficult puzzles--the bulk of those available are easy to solve & some providers are no longer included or now require paid subscription. (I'm not experiencing the glitches reported by others--I use iPad 3, iPhone 5, iOS 9.1.)
Fails to download puzzles
The problems have been solved. This is back to being the best crossword puzzle app available.
Starting late October 2015 fails to download new puzzles. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still had the problem. Prior to that this had been an excellent app.
Gets worse with each update
This app used to be a 5. It seems like now each time it is released, there are more issues created than fixed. Having the buttons on top doesn't work anymore, there was an issue with puzzle size, and puzzle sync doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm waiting for these issues to be fixed (correctly).
- Category: Games
- Updated: Nov 01, 2015
- Version: 2.73
- Size: 13.6 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Seller: Stand Alone, Inc.
- © 2008-15 Stand Alone, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Puzzles$1.99
- Dell Magazine #1$1.99
- Multiplayer Support$0.99
- Ridonkulous Crosswords$1.99
- Jonesin' Crosswords$2.99
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Favorites Volume 1$2.99
- Ben Tausig's Editorial Favorites, Vol, 1$1.99
- MacNamara's Band Vol. 1$1.99
- Matt Gaffney's Music Crosswords$2.99
- You Can't Do That in a Crossword$2.99