By Stand Alone, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"… the definitive source for puzzles for iOS…" -- the New York Times
Download and play crossword puzzles right on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one tap you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving!
The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just got even better!
• New: Sync your puzzles with Crosswords for Mac; Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
• Get new puzzles every day
• Touch and hold a square to view hints on iPad
• Enter Numbers and other special characters by holding down keys
• One tap downloads all of today's puzzles
• Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date or provider
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
• Grab older puzzles with a tap
• Tap the clue list with two fingers to adjust the font size (iPad only)
Included Puzzle Sources:
• Brendan Emmett Quigley's Weekly Puzzle
• Elizabeth C. Gorski's Crossword Nation
• Inkwell Crossword
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• The Independent
• King Features Crosswords (Joseph, Sheffer, and Premier)
• People Magazine (archives only)
• Andy Kravis, Cruciverbist at Law
• Glutton for Pun
• MacNamara’s Band
• Murchie’s Monday Fills
• Neville Fogarty
• Puzzle Express
• The Stickler Weekly
• World of Crosswords
Premium Crosswords subscription required:
• NY Times
• Matt Gaffney’s Crossword Contest
• Telegraph UK Quick, Toughie & Cryptic Crosswords
• American Values Crossword
• Crooked Crosswords
• Additional puzzles downloadable via the Puzzle Browser; browse the web and download more!
Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may still have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option.
• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com •
• You can tap on the clue text at the bottom of the screen to toggle across & down
• Rotate the screen to see both the puzzle and clues
• Touch for a moment then drag to precisely select a square.
• Touch the Plus to download older puzzles
Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Syncing puzzles to your Mac requires the purchase of Crosswords from the Mac App Store. Multiplayer requires iOS 6.0 or later.
What's New in Version 2.74
- improved accessibility support
- fixed some puzzle synchronization issues
Good and Bad
This is my favorite crossword app by far, with the exception that it provides very few puzzles beyond the "easy" level. You get a few "moderates," and "hard" puzzles are nearly non-existent, even with the paid app like I use. I've been a paid subscriber for many years and this has always been my complaint. You can receive numerous free puzzles every day, yet to get others, which I assume are of higher quality, such the New York Times, among others, you have to pay an extra subscription fee beyond the cost of the the app. I could easily live with this if the app just provided harder free puzzles. The free puzzles are the typical low-end puzzles that lazily use ubiquitous words like "oboe," "ire," "aloe," and others of that ilk. Puzzles like "Joseph" and others have gigantic squares with a small amount of words, and honestly seem like they are written for kids. Unfortunately, I've found very few other puzzle apps that offer the breadth of features this one does. As I indicated before, the app itself deserves a rating of 11, but the puzzle offerings I would give a 2.
Still the same problems
It's definitely the very best Crossword app that I've found in the 4 years that I've had an iPad, iPhone, etc. much better than the New York Times crossword app; which is a paid app. The only improvement that I would like to see is the addition of more of the more difficult/bigger puzzles like the one they do carry "Premier Crosswords". The easier puzzles they have hear tend to use the same clues/answers over & over so that there is very little challenge for your brain.
Oh & I do have to agree with THROO7 in that the puzzles don't sync between my several devices, so that if I just completed one on my iPad Air2 & then perhaps happen to be bored waiting somewhere & open it on my iPhone or iPad Mini, it will offer that puzzle as one never started, so that's kind of a bummer
Addendum- Mar 2016 - They still have not fixed the problem with the puzzles not syncing between devices.
Excellent, Flexible, Challenging Crossword App
Crosswords allows you to challenge yourself at whatever level you want, offering everything from very simple puzzles to "oh heavens what have I gotten myself into" difficult puzzles. It offers many, many sources of puzzles, as well.
There have been times when I have felt "oh heavens!" With even "quick" puzzles, but that's kind of why I do crosswords... But fortunately for me, when I've wound up with words that fit the clue but don't fit together, Crosswords has options for identifying my errors. NOT fixing them, just pointing them out and erasing them. And when the app "erases" an erroneous letter, the space is left "smudged," as if I'd actually erased a penciled-in letter. I think that's marvelous.
All in all, this is a fun platform for crossword puzzles that gives me tons of challenge, when and if I want it.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 18, 2015
- Version: 2.74
- Size: 13.5 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Seller: Stand Alone, Inc.
- © 2008-15 Stand Alone, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Puzzles$1.99
- Dell Magazine #1$1.99
- Multiplayer Support$0.99
- Jonesin' Crosswords$2.99
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Favorites Volume 1$2.99
- Ridonkulous Crosswords$1.99
- Ben Tausig's Editorial Favorites, Vol, 1$1.99
- MacNamara's Band Vol. 1$1.99
- Matt Gaffney's Music Crosswords$2.99
- You Can't Do That in a Crossword$2.99