By Stand Alone, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Play Crossword puzzles from newspapers around the world right on your Mac! Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one click you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving. Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just landed on your Mac!
• New puzzles every day
• Synchronize puzzles between your Mac, iPhone and iPad
• Right-click a square to view hints
• Automatically downloads all of today's puzzles
• Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date, provider, or difficulty
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
• Grab older puzzles with a click
Using Puzzle Sync, you can pick up a puzzle on any device, work on it, and finish it on another, seamlessly.
Included Puzzle Sources:
• The Onion A.V. Club Crossword
• Philadelphia Inquirer Sunday
• Village Voice
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• The Independent
• Manchester Evening News
• King Features Crosswords
• Telegraph UK Quick & Cryptic Crosswords (subscription required)
• People Magazine
• Custom Subscription available from Brendan Emmett Quigley
* Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may sill have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option *
•• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com ••
Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Puzzle Sync requires the purchase of Crosswords from the iOS App Store.
What's New in Version 1.02
- added printing support
- better help and feedback
- added optional in-app browser
- fixed several connectivity issues
- added cut/copy/paste support
- added additional keyboard shortcuts
- added menu commands to save and restore progress via Puzzle Sync
Waiting for an update
I have this Mac version as well as the iOS version and paid extra for this one. The iOS version has been updated a few times over the past year but the Mac version is nearly two years without having some deficiencies addressed, most of which I have written about to the programmers. Customer support is pretty good, but acknowledged weaknesses need to be fixed. These include: at some puzzle scaling some clues do not realign in the space provided and appear blank (fixed when puzzled is re-sized); puzzle info does not show difficulty level; deleting finished puzzles is cumbersome; non-alpha keys show their irrelevant characters - should be blocked (not a problem in iOS). Other functions work fine, including downloading, synching, and puzzle quality. Puzzle providers sometimes change but there are always lots of choices. Wiaiting for an update.
Ok, but buggy
While this app does exactly what you’d expect there are some serious differences fromt the iOS app. This app is no where near the iOS version and many of the features that made the iOS version awesome are lacking. In the iOS app (if you turn on hints) if you get the correct letter it doesn’t delete it no matter what you do. In this app (with hints) if you misspell a word and try to use the delete key it removes non correct as well as correct. I wish there was a feature to stop this. There are some serous bugs in this app that haven’t been address for almost three years. For example trying to access older puzzles is buggy. Trying to select older days is not aligned properly. While customer support has acknoweledged this, there have not been any improvements in a long time. It’s a good app, but it could be better.
great, but not without it's problems
I love the app, but I am frustrated that it sometimes gives nonsense answers to the crossword puzzles. I recently finished a puzzle with no help, but upon completion, it didn't credit the puzzle with completion. I requested that the puzzle show any errors, and lo and behold there were several? I checked out my answers vs. those the game supplied, and I am convinced that the game is flawed. The answers given were gibberish.
I have only run across this problem this once, but it needs to be fixed, especially if I come across this problem again.
Otherwise, this is a great crossword puzzle app!