By Stand Alone, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"… the definitive source for puzzles for iOS…" -- the New York Times
Play the Award Winning Crosswords on your iPad or iPhone, now optimized for the new iOS 8! Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; wake up each day to new puzzles, solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving!
• Touch and hold a square to view hints
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date, difficulty or source
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
After upgrading, you can also:
• Automatically get new puzzles every day
• Access nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sources
• Grab older puzzles with a tap
• Download new puzzles automatically in the background
Upgraded Puzzle Sources:
• Brendan Emmett Quigley's Weekly Puzzle
• Elizabeth C. Gorski's Crossword Nation
• Inkwell Crossword
• Village Voice
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• The Independent
• King Features Crosswords (Joseph, Sheffer, and Premier)
• People Magazine
• Andy Kravis, Cruciverbist at Law
• Glutton for Pun
• MacNamara’s Band
• Murchie’s Monday Fills
• Neville Fogarty
• Puzzle Express
• The Stickler Weekly
• Telegraph Toughie
• World of Crosswords
Premium Crosswords subscription required:
• NY Times
• Matt Gaffney’s Crossword Contest
• Telegraph UK Quick & Cryptic Crosswords
• American Values Crossword
• Crooked Crosswords
Providers list subject to change.
•• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com ••
What's New in Version 3.56
- iOS 9 multitasking support
- fixed a bug when viewing minimized puzzle grid
- fixed some timer issues
Not ready for primetime yet
My review is for an iPhone 6.
The original app, Crossword Classics, remains my app of choice on iOS. This one has a cleaner interface and a nicer keyboard but too many bugs. Things I’ve encountered in the last 24 hours:
Getting to a puzzle’s info screen (accidentally) and not having the “Back to Puzzle” link at the bottom. This has happened more than once.
Incorrect highlighting of boxes when listing just the clues. It also highlights several boxes rather than just the one you want.
Skipping several clues when clicking the Next/Prev Clue arrows in both across and down.
These are full-on irrefutable bugs. The rest of my issues are opinion. First, I would rather have the menu of options at the top of the screen away from my finger as I don’t use it often. Crossword Classics has this option, this app doesn’t. It’s not easy to reveal just a square and then just a clue without first having to go to the settings in the middle of a puzzle. Checking for errors in the entire puzzle is unintuitive. You can zoom out too far. I.e. the puzzle becomes smaller than the actual screen and it’s hard to zoom it back to the exact spot where it fills the screen horizontally.
Looking forward to future updates but for now, Crossword Classics still works great for me.
This app is worth every penny for all the time I spend on it. The back catalogue of crosswords provides endless entertainment, and I'm loving the additional mini puzzles. This is a great game that keeps getting better!!
I used to love this app, but lately it has become very buggy. Some crosswords have the clues and entries misaligned, so good luck if you're trying to do a cryptic puzzle. Not sure if that's the fault of the app or the source, but it is really common and very annoying.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 19, 2015
- Version: 3.56
- Size: 8.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Stand Alone, Inc.
- ©2008-2015 Stand Alone, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Crosswords Pro$9.99
- Crosswords Pro$3.99
- Edited By Tausig 2$2.99
- Upgrade to ProFree
- Lionel's crosswords, Vol. 1$0.99
- Edited by Ben Tausig, Vol. 1$1.99
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Faves #1$2.99
- Dell Crosswords$1.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation: Vol. 1, No. 1-20$1.99
- Crossword Nation's Centennial Edition$7.99