Crunchyroll - Watch Anime & Drama Now!
By Crunchyroll, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** Now with Chromecast support ***
Watch over 25,000 episodes and 15,000 hours of latest and hottest Anime 1-hour after TV broadcast! Enjoy the current season and catch up on classic episodes of your favorite shows like Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, Bleach, Kill la Kill, Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-, Hunter X Hunter, and many more.
Start watching your favorite Anime immediately for free (no membership required), or experience Premium membership FREE during a 7 day trial. Sign up in the Crunchyroll App now!
With a Premium membership, enjoy the following features:
- No ads
- Watch newest episodes 1-hour after airing in Japan
- Access to HD and DVD quality videos
- - Watch on PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Apple TV, Roku, and more
Using in-app purchase for recurring billing makes it easier than ever to subscribe to Crunchyroll’s premium service. In-App Purchase information:
- Subscribe to Premium for only $6.99 per month. (Amount in USD in US App Store)
- When you have confirmed purchasing the subscription, your iTunes Account will automatically be charged.
- The subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can manage subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to Account Settings after purchase.
- Your iTunes Account will be charged $6.99 monthly for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period.
- The current subscription cannot be cancelled during active subscription period.
Crunchyroll licenses all its content directly and legally to bring you the best and most recent shows from Asia and support the content creators.
Not available in Japan.
Check local listings for availability.
What's New in Version 2.40.1
- Resolved a bug that caused video playback issues
This app's a bit touchy, but that's to be expected from any app that streams video content. It's a tough technical challenge to buffer enough data and switch streams. Aside from the video glitches—which I'll get to next—there are some bothersome problems with the way the app tracks, sorts, and displays shows. I wish the app was a smooth as the web interface, but since you can use the web interface to fix anything you don't like it's no big deal.
As for the video, if you're going to use this for free anime, expect plenty of crashes. (That empty white screen haunts my sleep still!) Fast-forwarding is smooth and simple, though, so you can go to the last five minutes, make a sandwich while the ads play, then rewind and watch the show ad-free. Without ads the app is much more stable. This is great news for premium members, for a few dollars a month you get great titles and a (mostly) hassle-free viewing experience. (There are occasional freezes, but very rare; and it's no big deal to restart and pick up where you left off.)
The video quality is good on an iPad and the bandwidth requirements are pretty low, all things considered. Check their lineup online, if it's the kind of stuff you like then buy a few months on premium and I bet you'll enjoy the convenience.
Well organized and useful, but...
App mostly works. If your wireless feed is perfect then this app runs fine. It can lose your "up next" order on occasion, but that isn't too bad. If your wifi is what most of our houses are, then get used to pauses, freezes or crashes. What is bad is that the last big update broke the ability to play shows through the iPad interface to the HDMI interface on your big-screen TV. The most recent update to "fix video playback bugs"didn't fix anything that I could see.
It works to get my anime, it just doesn't work very well.
Videos barely play after the latest update
I used to never have any problems with the Crunchyroll app, but after the latest update, I constantly have issues trying to watch shows.
I'm a premium member, so I don't get ads, but videos take over a minute to start and even when they do, If I have to pause for any reason, the video will never start again. So basically it's the same thing if I got premium or not because the video would never play after an ad before I got it.
I initially thought the problems with loading a video was because I'm watching newer shows like Monogatari, but even old 4:3 episodes of Gintama and One Piece are giving me problems.
Giving a quality option in the app version was a great idea, but I'm honestly having a harder time watching shows in SD now than I used to when watching shows in HD before that was even a feature.
Great selection of anime, and I love the UI, but just watch it on your computer until this app is fixed.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Aug 26, 2015
- Version: 2.40.1
- Size: 16.2 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Crunchyroll Inc.
- © 2015 Crunchyroll Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- Monthly Premium Membership$6.99
- Monthly Premium+ Membership$11.99