By Rumination Software LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
CRUX brings you a beautiful, fun, and intuitive way to solve crossword puzzles on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. Now with iCloud puzzle sync, iOS 6, and iPhone 5 (taller display) support!
[ Excellent! ] WIRED App Guide : "The best crossword app for the iPad"
[ 5 Stars! ] AppAdvice.com : "A Word Puzzler’s Delight"
[ 4½ Stars! ] PadGadget.com : "A highly polished crossword app with tons of features"
[ 4 Stars! ] TouchArcade.com : "Crossword Puzzles Have Never Looked This Good"
[ 4 Stars! ] TapMag.co.uk : "A well-developed crossword puzzler that should keep addicts happy."
CRUX presents the best crossword puzzles on the perfect platform for solving them. There are thousands of high-quality puzzles available for download from newspapers and other sources around the world. No matter if you're new to crosswords or a seasoned wordsmith, CRUX is great for everyone, and includes:
- Fifteen exclusive puzzles by accomplished puzzle author Andrew Ries, organized by Easier, Average, and Harder difficulty
- Multiple modes help you focus on what's important
-- "Intersecting" presents a mini-puzzle made from the selected entry and all crossing entries
-- "Incomplete" shows you only what's left
-- "Related" shows only the themed or otherwise related entries
- Related entries are automatically highlighted in all modes
- Swipe gestures for directly picking any across/down entry from the grid
- Enter letters as pen or pencil
- Enter multiple letters in a cell ("rebus" entry)
- Timer with pause feature
- Clear/check/reveal a cell, entry, or the entire puzzle
- View and sort downloaded puzzles by day, month, constructor, recently opened, etc.
- Support for multiple users sharing one iPad
- iPad "Home row" control layout lets you solve a puzzle fast without moving your hands
- iPad 3-speed directional pad for cell-by-cell navigation
CRUX currently supports the following US-style sources:
o American Values Club
o Aries XWord by Andrew J. Ries
- Chronicle of Higher Education
o CRooked Crosswords
o Crossword Nation by Liz Gorski
- Houston Chronicle
- Ink Well
- I Swear
- NY Times Classic
* NY Times Daily
* NY Times Monthly Bonus
- People Magazine
- Washington Post Daily
- Washington Post Puzzler
- Washington Post TV
And these UK-style sources:
• Globe And Mail Cryptic
• Globe And Mail Quick
• Independent Concise
• Independent Cryptic
• Manchester Evening News
• Sydney Morning Herald Cryptic (2002-2009)
• Sydney Morning Herald Quick (2002-2009)
+ Telegraph Cryptic
+ Telegraph General Knowledge
+ Telegraph General Knowledge Quick
+ Telegraph Quick
+ Telegraph Toughie
o These puzzles are available with a valid subscription. See the following for more information:
* These puzzles are available with a NY Times Premium Crossword Membership. More information can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/crosswords
+ The Telegraph puzzles are available with an online subscription. 7-day free trial available at: http://puzzles.telegraph.co.uk/site/register_free_trial
If anybody has questions or a suggestion on how to improve the app, then PLEASE let us know by sending email to:
We love feedback! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write us already.
What's New in Version 1.5.2
Replace HTML clue markup with plaintext (e.g. ' to ') in clues for certain puzzles
Little Orphan Appie
I’ve been using this app since Stand Alone Crosswords decided to destroy itself a couple of years ago. Now it seems like CRUX is going the same route. Simple stuff like grids with circled squares stopped working a while ago. And there are some obvious usability issues and missing features that I’ve been waiting patiently for CRUX to address. But it doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen.
All I’m looking for is a decent app to solve the daily NYTimes, and the occasional indie puzzle. Doesn’t seem like a lot to ask. Maybe it’s time to give Stand Alone another look. CRUX has obviously been abandoned.
a timeless classic nicely done
Nice interface, easy to look at and easy to use. Well worth the price: less money than a book of crossword puzzles, and comes with oodles of downloadable content from a variety of sources.
Loads quickly and is not a space hog. Puzzles once downloaded are available offline.
Have had to write to support a few times for help accessing subscription crosswords. I've always gotten helpful responses. Happy I can access those subscriptions in this excellent interface, and all conveniently together in one place.
Would highly recommend to any crossword fan.
Used to be better
Aside from NYT and a few others, there used to be so many more free and new puzzles available. Now, many (most) of the free puzzles are outdated--from 2011 or 2013. Recently, Washington Post Daily stopped loading new puzzles, which I hope is not part of the same group of puzzles that will no longer be updating on this app. I wrote the developer and am awaiting a response.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 18, 2014
- Version: 1.5.2
- Size: 31.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Rumination Software LLC
- © 2014 Rumination Software LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Quigley's Strangers 1-30$2.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 1-20$1.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 21-40$1.99
- Matt Gaffney's Easy Puzzles 1-20$0.99
- Quigley's Strangers 61-90$2.99
- Quigley's Strangers 31-60$2.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 61-80$1.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 41-60$1.99
- Matt Gaffney's Medium Pint-Size Puzzles 1-20$0.99
- Matt Gaffney's Easy Pint-Size Puzzles 1-20$0.99