By Rumination Software LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
CRUX brings you a beautiful, fun, and intuitive way to solve crossword puzzles on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. Now with iCloud puzzle sync, iOS 6, and iPhone 5 (taller display) support!
[ Excellent! ] WIRED App Guide : "The best crossword app for the iPad"
[ 5 Stars! ] AppAdvice.com : "A Word Puzzler’s Delight"
[ 4½ Stars! ] PadGadget.com : "A highly polished crossword app with tons of features"
[ 4 Stars! ] TouchArcade.com : "Crossword Puzzles Have Never Looked This Good"
[ 4 Stars! ] TapMag.co.uk : "A well-developed crossword puzzler that should keep addicts happy."
CRUX presents the best crossword puzzles on the perfect platform for solving them. There are thousands of high-quality puzzles available for download from newspapers and other sources around the world. No matter if you're new to crosswords or a seasoned wordsmith, CRUX is great for everyone, and includes:
- Fifteen exclusive puzzles by accomplished puzzle author Andrew Ries, organized by Easier, Average, and Harder difficulty
- Multiple modes help you focus on what's important
-- "Intersecting" presents a mini-puzzle made from the selected entry and all crossing entries
-- "Incomplete" shows you only what's left
-- "Related" shows only the themed or otherwise related entries
- Related entries are automatically highlighted in all modes
- Swipe gestures for directly picking any across/down entry from the grid
- Enter letters as pen or pencil
- Enter multiple letters in a cell ("rebus" entry)
- Timer with pause feature
- Clear/check/reveal a cell, entry, or the entire puzzle
- View and sort downloaded puzzles by day, month, constructor, recently opened, etc.
- Support for multiple users sharing one iPad
- iPad "Home row" control layout lets you solve a puzzle fast without moving your hands
- iPad 3-speed directional pad for cell-by-cell navigation
CRUX currently supports the following US-style sources:
o American Values Club
o Aries XWord by Andrew J. Ries
- Chronicle of Higher Education
o CRooked Crosswords
o Crossword Nation by Liz Gorski
- Houston Chronicle
- Ink Well
- I Swear
- NY Times Classic
* NY Times Daily
* NY Times Monthly Bonus
- People Magazine
- Washington Post Daily
- Washington Post Puzzler
- Washington Post TV
And these UK-style sources:
• Globe And Mail Cryptic
• Globe And Mail Quick
• Independent Concise
• Independent Cryptic
• Manchester Evening News
• Sydney Morning Herald Cryptic (2002-2009)
• Sydney Morning Herald Quick (2002-2009)
+ Telegraph Cryptic
+ Telegraph General Knowledge
+ Telegraph General Knowledge Quick
+ Telegraph Quick
+ Telegraph Toughie
o These puzzles are available with a valid subscription. See the following for more information:
* These puzzles are available with a NY Times Premium Crossword Membership. More information can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/crosswords
+ The Telegraph puzzles are available with an online subscription. 7-day free trial available at: http://puzzles.telegraph.co.uk/site/register_free_trial
If anybody has questions or a suggestion on how to improve the app, then PLEASE let us know by sending email to:
We love feedback! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write us already.
What's New in Version 1.5.2
Replace HTML clue markup with plaintext (e.g. ' to ') in clues for certain puzzles
Little Orphan Appie
I’ve been using this app since Stand Alone Crosswords decided to destroy itself a couple of years ago. Now it seems like CRUX is going the same route. Simple stuff like grids with circled squares stopped working a while ago. And there are some obvious usability issues and missing features that I’ve been waiting patiently for CRUX to address. But it doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen.
All I’m looking for is a decent app to solve the daily NYTimes, and the occasional indie puzzle. Doesn’t seem like a lot to ask. Maybe it’s time to give Stand Alone another look. CRUX has obviously been abandoned.
It took a couple emails, but once I got CRUX's attention they have been working with me regarding NYT validation issues. In this regard, I find the app's developers quite sensitive to end-user needs. Tools, options, etc. are excellent. Above and beyond the other Xword apps that I've tried.
I hope the validation issue is resolved, as I also dislike the NYT Xword app & have no wish to depend on it for my NYT Xword puzzles.
Devs have disappeared.
First, I should say that I'm angry enough to give this app a one-star rating, but it's way too good to rate anything less than 4.
A few of the puzzles (including the Washington Post) stopped working nearly a year ago. I have emailed the devs on no less than 5 occasions since, and have been completely ignored.
This is an excellent crossword app, especially compared to the terrible offerings from others on the App Store. However, I paid for this app with the promise that I would be able to download and complete the Washing Post crossword specifically, and I feel cheated that the devs have done nothing to rectify this.
For now, you should avoid buying this app. The devs simply don't care to deliver on promised features, and refuse to communicate with their customers.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 18, 2014
- Version: 1.5.2
- Size: 31.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Rumination Software LLC
- © 2014 Rumination Software LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Quigley's Strangers 1-30$2.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 1-20$1.99
- Matt Gaffney's Easy Puzzles 1-20$0.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 21-40$1.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 41-60$1.99
- Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation 61-80$1.99
- Quigley's Strangers 31-60$2.99
- Matt Gaffney's Medium Pint-Size Puzzles 1-20$0.99
- Matt Gaffney's Easy Pint-Size Puzzles 1-20$0.99
- Quigley's Strangers 61-90$2.99