CrypticGuide is the only all-in-one cryptic crossword and word game reference app. Whether you're tackling cryptic crosswords, regular crosswords, or other word games, this app will help you out of tight corners. Runs offline and is stand-alone, with no in-app purchases, and no popup ads to bother you.
It has thousands of headword entries for cryptic synonyms, indicators, abbreviations, and homophones. We've included explanations for many of the synonyms and abbreviations, to help you learn what they mean.
NB: Please note that this app is *not* a full English dictionary or thesaurus — there are plenty of those apps elsewhere.
Simply type in a word or phrase from a cryptic clue that is eluding you, and (if the word is in our database) you will see the possible cryptic terms associated with that word.
The app includes Ximenean and non-Ximenean entries, and old-fashioned and modern terms. State and territory abbreviations from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India, the USA, and South Africa are included. It has as a good range of common short words from European languages.
CrypticGuide also includes a powerful wildcard search, to help with filling in obstinate entries, a hidden word finder, and an anagram solver. The wildcard, hidden word, and anagram searches can use either a full word list, or a more limited list for word games (omitting proper nouns and phrases). The app accesses the system dictionary, so you can get definitions. There is a detailled user guide included in-app.
The app will run on any iOS device that support iOS 7.1 or newer, and is best on iOS 8 or newer.
CrypticGuide was developed by cryptic setter and author of "Solving Cryptic Crosswords For Dummies", Denise Sutherland, and her husband Dr Ralph Sutherland.
Our first big update! Bigger and better than ever — here's what's new for you in this version:
• We've updated the interface for iOS 7.1 and newer
• Sadly, we had to drop the interface colour variations, to fit in with Apple's iOS 7 interface requirements — sorry about that, guys
• iPad users can now work in any orientation, and with a detached keyboard
• You can copy, save, and share cryptic search results on your networks
• New hidden word search, so you can find words and phrases that contain any other word or sequence of letters
• Improved search results for anagrams and sub-words — with each sub-word, the leftover letters are listed as well
• Results with long lists of words of different lengths are now indexed by letter length, for easier scanning and navigation
• It's easier to get dictionary definitions within the cryptic terms search results
• Cryptic term searches are organised so you can find words that contain your search term, as well as those starting with it
• The cryptic terms database has been completely overhauled and updated. It includes many hundreds of new entries (we lost count) — thank you to those of you who sent in suggestions
• The word lists, used for the anagram, hidden word, and wildcard searches, have also been updated
So, there's a lot of improvements, and more words in the dictionaries, and we hope you find it even more useful! As ever, we love to receive suggestions for terms for the cryptic dictionary, just drop us a line via our website (sutherland-studios.com.au).
Ratings and Reviews
This is an excellent anagram solver and missing letter finder. Unlike most, it is really designed with (cryptic) crosswords in mind so has useful features like common cryptic synonyms, multi-word matches and anagrams that can be formed with only some of the given letters.
This is a great app for solving cryptics. I use it not only for cryptics but also for regular crosswords. Sutherland Studios also authored two books in the Dummies series on cryptics. Great resources for learning how to do these puzzles. Five stars!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.