DaBus - The Oahu Bus App
By City and County of Honolulu
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
No more getting caught in the rain waiting for the bus! No more scratching your head and wondering if you had missed the bus! No more guessing when the next bus will arrive.
The DaBus app takes the guesswork out of catching the bus on the island of Oahu. It uses the near real-time arrival information, courtesy of the Oahu Transit Services, to provide the best estimated time on when the next bus will arrive. This app also tracks the current location of the bus you are interested using the GPS device installed on many of the buses. In addition, it also provides options to explore different bus routes and take a virtual ride to better understand its route.
This app is fun, simple and intuitive to use. Best of all, it is absolutely FREE!
- Mahalo (Thank you) for downloading and using this app.
- Locate nearby bus stops at your current location.
- Search for a bus stop by street name or stop number.
- Get complete real-time bus arrival information.
- Track the current location of your interested bus.
- Bookmark your favorite bus stops.
- Explore different bus routes.
- Virtually ride the bus and double tap to zoom in on its route.
- Find a bus route by the route number or route name.
- Get information on the bus fares, holiday schedules and service alerts.
What's New in Version 1.2.1
- Added function to decode HTML string when viewing the news contents.
- Disabled user interaction on Version table cell.
- Added error handling when a news feed account is not responding.
- Fixed the "icon switching" error on Tracking screen where the Bus appears as a Stop icon.
- Enabled video to be played in vertical or horizontal screen orientation.
- Enabled web contents to be viewed in vertical or horizontal screen orientation.
- Added video description to the video screen.
- Added code to update the estimated arrival time with each refresh on the Tracking screen.
- Revised Service Alerts screen to provide more rider alert information.
- Added new app icon.
Let me clear up all the controversy
The app is great. It does what it says. It does what it should. AND MORE. However, the interface, the user experience, whatever you want to call it, is poor; thus the loss of two stars. The UI is built around the idea of find a stop or find a route. That is not how people think. People think: how do I get from here to there; what buses go where I want to go; and where is my bus now. All of these features are there, but you would not know it and it is not obvious. It took me more than 6 months to find them. So my advice is two-fold: 1. Developers: rework the home page to be more informative and less cartooney. 2. Users: click on all the buttons and icons until you find what you are looking for. You can track your bus as it approaches. That is cool, but it is not explained anywhere. The app is great, but not obvious.
I did use this app a lot but as of today the app doesn't work at all. I use google maps to find my routes and I use this app to see the exact routes of specific buses and more accurate times of when they will be at the stops to pick me up. But now it doesn't even load the arrival times. It says to try a different bus stop. But I tried like 10 random ones and didn't get anything. They should remake this whole app. It could be improved in so many ways. Especially now that it doesn't work at all. I even tried to re download the app and still doesn't work. That's all I have to say. I would give it a rating of 0 stars because it doesn't even work at all but I did like it when it was working so I have it 2 stars.
This app is still great!
This app has its difficulties after the iOS 6 update but I expect it to improve after Apple has improved their map functionality. This app still has not crashed on me and functions as described. I am confused by the 1 star ratings as if the update by Apple was the developers fault. I suggest that if you are so inclined to make a better app for free, then please do so. I saw that one rating was about how the bus was packed like sardines and leaves me confused as to how this pertains to the functionality of the app. Keep up the good work, I look forward to future updates and features.