Daedalus Touch – Text Editor for iCloud
By The Soulmen GbR
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“My Favorite iPad Text Editor.” – Charlie Sorrel, WIRED
“A purist and minimalist’s dream.” – Jennifer Allen, 148Apps
“It’s a killer app, and a welcome addition to my writing life.” – Zach LeBar, iPad.AppStorm
Daedalus Touch is the first truly next-gen text editor on iOS. No file lists, no folders, no documents in the classic sense – just paper stacks and an infinite amount of sheets. You navigate by standard gestures, all perfectly mapped and matched to the tasks at hand.
Interacting with digital texts never felt so natural: Flick through pages by swiping left and right, reorder stacks and sheets via drag’n’drop, use tap to open, pinch to close, and select multiple sheets for export with simple taps.
Watch it all at http://www.daedalusapp.com/
The basic version fully utilizes iCloud to keep your texts updated across all of your devices. It’s also tightly integrated with Ulysses for OS X, so you can edit all your texts on the desktop. A simple export facility lets you print and send emails from within the app.
For advanced functionality, several in-app purchases are available:
1) Full synchronization via Dropbox, Box.com and WebDAV, including the option to import .txt and .md files into Daedalus.
2) File export, creating TXT-, PDF-, RTF- and ePub-files with Markdown conversion. Files can be sent as attachments or opened in other apps installed on your device.
3) Additional color themes and the option to use any font you want.
4) All of the above in one complete package.
Please note that users who purchased Daedalus prior to 1.7 will get the full version at no additional cost. Free lunch.
Create, share and synchronize your writings in a beautiful, inspiring environment. Daedalus Touch completely ditches the technical aspects of current-gen text editors and word processors in favor of a natural, fully realized paper stack metaphor.
- Stacks and sheets instead of folders and files.
- Manual sorting of stacks and sheets (no, really).
- Always-on global search. Modeless match highlighting; result stepper.
- Responsive editor, even for large texts (20.000 words and more).
- Highly configurable extra keyboard row, including Fwd-Del and Tab.
- Character- and word count.
- Built-in support for TextExpander touch.
- Built-in web browser to quickly look up or post stuff on the internet (iPad only)
- Support for x-callback-url (Drafts, Launch Center pro etc.).
- Full iCloud sync and backup.
- Export via email and iTunes sharing
- Manual sync with Dropbox, Box.com and/or WebDAV; import folders, set remote sync-folders, sync single stacks, set cloud services on-the-fly.
- File export via email and iOS' “Open in…” service.
- Unlimited font choices, four different color choices (including a “night” mode for writing at… well, night).
- Support for all common Markdown extensions such as .md, .mdown and .markdown.
- Option to process Markdown when exporting to ePub or PDF.
- Universal app, runs on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
- Built for iOS 7.
What's New in Version 1.8.1
- Re-enabled popover when long-pressing button in keyboard row.
- Fixed data loss bug when dragging sheet to end of stack.
I am shocked, *shocked* that this app has any bad reviews at all. I wrote my dissertation on this app. I use it everyday for work (I am a professional writer, and earn good money doing it).
Please, Soulmen, do not give up on Daedalus in favor of Ulysses. Ulysses has its place—it's great for organizing all of your writing, almost like a database of your text. But it is not Daedalus. Not by a long shot. When it comes to writing, anywhere, on any device, in any way, Daedalus is king.
This is *the* editor for writers.
If you write books, try Daedalus.
If you're an Alphasmart fan, try Daedalus.
If you use WriteRoom, try Daedalus.
If you're stuck on an eMate or some other ancient device for writing, try Daedalus.
If your word processor is distracting, try Daedalus.
If you want to be one with your text, try Daedalus.
I don't know whether I've ever bothered to review an app in the App Store before, but I can't rate this app highly enough. The editor I've been waiting for for years, since long before the iPad existed. You'll know right away, there is no middle ground: either it's the answer to your problems or it's just not for you.
In my case, I've put hundreds of thousands of words into Daedalus, and there is no going back. Everything else feels like a straitjacket to me now. And hopefully the app is around and supported for a long, long time on lots of devices still to come.
A nice concept, plagued by bugs
I have bought this app many years ago, and are now just writing a review. This app has not changed much at all since I first found it; however, with each iOS update, new bugs were introduced. Some documents gets lost, that's not a huge deal, as I backup everything daily. On the other hand, on iOS 8.4, the app sometimes unexplainably lags when trying to focus on a note to type. The animation is impeccably fast, but bringing up software keyboard sometimes takes 4-5 seconds; this is clearly another iOS compatibility bug, which I hope they fix soon and if they do I'd probably bump my rating back to 4. The app is really a great concept for organizing text-based documents. For example, when I fill out job applications, I'd put an application as a stack, and each individual question as a sheet. Moving between questions is fluid and as Steve Jobs would put it, simply magical.
Only for markdown, and Hard time with exports
I didnt know when i got this app that it is was basically for markdown use only, if you choose not to use the markdown codes you will be limited. Sometimes i just want to write and post stories to other apps or on certain sites thats not compatible with markdown. Without using markdown theres no way to use bold and italics writing. And every time i try to export as a rtf. file with markdown, when i open it on my pc the format is weird, all the paragraphs are far apart, with huge spaces and its just a hassle to fix. Once they make it easier to just put in bold and italic writing and make everything simpler for everyone i'll rate higher.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Mar 04, 2015
- Version: 1.8.1
- Size: 13.0 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Seller: The Soulmen GbR
- © 2015 The Soulmen GbR
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- All-In-One Pack$3.99
- Fonts and Themes Pack$1.99
- Export Pack$1.99
- Sync Services Pack$2.99