Daedalus Touch – Text Editor for iCloud
By The Soulmen GbR
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“My Favorite iPad Text Editor.” – Charlie Sorrel, WIRED
“A purist and minimalist’s dream.” – Jennifer Allen, 148Apps
“It’s a killer app, and a welcome addition to my writing life.” – Zach LeBar, iPad.AppStorm
Daedalus Touch is the first truly next-gen text editor on iOS. No file lists, no folders, no documents in the classic sense – just paper stacks and an infinite amount of sheets. You navigate by standard gestures, all perfectly mapped and matched to the tasks at hand.
Interacting with digital texts never felt so natural: Flick through pages by swiping left and right, reorder stacks and sheets via drag’n’drop, use tap to open, pinch to close, and select multiple sheets for export with simple taps.
Watch it all at http://www.daedalusapp.com/
The basic version fully utilizes iCloud to keep your texts updated across all of your devices. It’s also tightly integrated with Ulysses for OS X, so you can edit all your texts on the desktop. A simple export facility lets you print and send emails from within the app.
For advanced functionality, several in-app purchases are available:
1) Full synchronization via Dropbox, Box.com and WebDAV, including the option to import .txt and .md files into Daedalus.
2) File export, creating TXT-, PDF-, RTF- and ePub-files with Markdown conversion. Files can be sent as attachments or opened in other apps installed on your device.
3) Additional color themes and the option to use any font you want.
4) All of the above in one complete package.
Please note that users who purchased Daedalus prior to 1.7 will get the full version at no additional cost. Free lunch.
Create, share and synchronize your writings in a beautiful, inspiring environment. Daedalus Touch completely ditches the technical aspects of current-gen text editors and word processors in favor of a natural, fully realized paper stack metaphor.
- Stacks and sheets instead of folders and files.
- Manual sorting of stacks and sheets (no, really).
- Always-on global search. Modeless match highlighting; result stepper.
- Responsive editor, even for large texts (20.000 words and more).
- Highly configurable extra keyboard row, including Fwd-Del and Tab.
- Character- and word count.
- Built-in support for TextExpander touch.
- Built-in web browser to quickly look up or post stuff on the internet (iPad only)
- Support for x-callback-url (Drafts, Launch Center pro etc.).
- Full iCloud sync and backup.
- Export via email and iTunes sharing
- Manual sync with Dropbox, Box.com and/or WebDAV; import folders, set remote sync-folders, sync single stacks, set cloud services on-the-fly.
- File export via email and iOS' “Open in…” service.
- Unlimited font choices, four different color choices (including a “night” mode for writing at… well, night).
- Support for all common Markdown extensions such as .md, .mdown and .markdown.
- Option to process Markdown when exporting to ePub or PDF.
- Universal app, runs on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
- Built for iOS 7.
What's New in Version 1.7.1
The Patent Pretending™ Edition, © 2014
- New icon (based on work by Forrest McKinney)
- Changes to the button row are now correctly preserved (first mention of the bug by Harshil Shah on December 20th via Twitter)
- Fixed some problems with In-App Purchases, in particular restoring purchases (prior art: Fixed some problems with iCloud, in particular iCloud restoring stacks and sheets)
- Improved launch time (if you want this in your app, please don’t contact us for license information)
- Fonts can now be downloaded from within the built-in browser (devs, you should copy this, our users are loving it)
- Fixed some nasty editor crashes (according to the Online Etymology Dictionary, the term “nasty” is of unknown origin)
- Fixed a crash when selecting a sync folder (non-obvious, but failed the point of novelty test)
- Minor localization fixes, such as button truncation (see Robert Bringhurst’s “Elements of Typographic Style”, for information on proper use of ellipses)
It's a text editor and database
Great, simple to use product. I use it everyday.
In a 3 year effort with multiple databases, I use Daedalus for my sales call notes. It is unique in that it provides a full or partial word search through all of your records in your your entire application.
No specially formatted keywords, no toggling to different fields, no date fields, no missed records because you forgot to save the record. Auto backup with Dropbox is brilliant!
With this program, you just write, knowing that a simple global search will bring up the needed data highlighted in the entire note, visually in context. You flip through the pages viewing the hits extremely fast. That is a HUGE timesaver.
In a database, you do a query and you get a list of hits. You then have to click on each hit to discover your needed text.
Top Notch Writing App!
I thoroughly enjoy using Daedalus Touch on my iPhone and iPad. Especially since the update, where I was finally able to set the theme to dark, which makes it easier on the eyes.
I have tried various editors for iOS, but Daedalus is my absolute favorite. It is also literally the only editor that works with iCloud without losing files. Byword is also nice, but absolutely horrible when it comes to iCloud Sync. As I don’t have (or want) a Dropbox or Evernote account or whatever else is out there, I am very happy that Daedalus has been able to get the iCloud Sync under control, which other writing app developers so far haven’t achieved.
Maybe someday there will be a Mac editor to go along with it; I’d definitely buy it!
Thanks a lot for a great app!
The best gets better
Over the past year, Daedalus has become my IOS app of choice for writing anything longer than brief notes, chiefly because of its ability to sync with the Ulysses on my Mac. There have been occasional syncing glitches (now fixed) and there are still a few features in Ulysses that I would like to see in Daedalus (e.g., footnotes!), but I don't think that there is another writing app available on IOS as powerful as Daedalus. The app is regularly updated with new (and sometimes amazing) features being added (e.g., the ability to export fully formatted PDFs from Markdown).
This is the writing app you want to get if you are serious about getting writing done on the iPad (I haven't used it on the iPhone that much -- screen size matters!).
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jan 14, 2014
- Version: 1.7.1
- Size: 7.4 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Seller: The Soulmen GbR
- © 2014 The Soulmen
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- All-In-One Pack$3.99
- Fonts and Themes Pack$1.99
- Export Pack$1.99
- Sync Services Pack$2.99