Dark Meadow: The Pact
By Phosphor Games Studio, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FREE VERSION OF THE VISUALLY STUNNING, ENGROSSING STORYTELLING GAME ON YOUR MOBILE DEVICE!
Nominated for Mobile Game of the Year from the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
* IGN: "worth playing just to experience the game’s huge amount of eccentric dialogue, and to experience the unfolding mystery.... one of the best to hit the App Store in recent memory."
* KOTAKU: "at home in the halls of BioShock's Rapture...disturbingly gorgeous experience."
* DESTRUCTOID: "a very atmospheric and engrossing game with a delicious streak of dark humor coursing through its veins.. worth picking up for anybody with an interest in iOS gaming."
* JOYSTIQ: "It's a surprisingly funny, gorgeous game that's an easy recommendation... ram home the truth that mobile games are getting surprisingly good at creating big worlds on tiny screens."
* TOUCH ARCADE: "The Dark Meadow is a standout in almost every way. From look to setting to the touch-centric gameplay, it shines, and you can tell this title was crafted with much love "
* GIZMODO.UK: "a splendid achievement. The bar has been raised, the gauntlet has been thrown down, and the hyperbole has been exhausted. We can’t wait to see the next game that tries to go one better."
* MODOJO: "a cross between BioShock and Infinity Blade... a hauntingly beautiful and intriguing game everyone should play, as it offers both a compelling adventure and a glimpse into the future of smart phone gaming. "
* GAMEZEBO: "arguably the best title to come to the genre. It's gorgeous, it's creepy, and it's a blast to play. This is the perfect game to play during the Halloween season. "
A dark fairytale of intrigue and mystery, where the sins of the past must be paid for… So sets the stage for The Dark Meadow -- a visually stunning world of deep exploration, gripping story, and heart racing combat, created with the unrivaled power of the Unreal Engine 3.
You awake in a hospital uncertain of how you arrived there or why. An old man warns of a beautiful witch whose minions roam the halls seeking the living. It is only when the witch is destroyed that you will be released from this unrelenting torment.
Using fun and intuitive fully gesture-based controls, you explore the decaying ruins of Montclair Hospital, armed with your crossbow for long-range combat as well as your sword for up close and personal melee battles.
The best elements from role-playing games encourage exploration as a wide variety of items are secreted throughout the world – from hidden scraps of paper that reveal the mystery of your imprisonment, to weapons and items, to money which can be used to purchase better equipment and weapons.
- Visually stunning, photo-realistic world built with the Unreal 3 engine
- A mature plot, stylized as a dark modern fairytale with bizarre twists and turns;
- In-world storytelling and quality acting
- Gesture-based action: crossbow ranged combat with ‘pull back and fire’ mechanic, slashing melee combat with dodging, blocking, and combos;
- Available in English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean , Italian, Simplified Chinese, Russian, and Brazilian Portuguese languages.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
-Fixed Retina support issues so graphics on mobile devices now render as they should
-Fixed a bug where health packs were not spawning in world as they should
-Adjusted enemy loot drops to be more generous
-Increased Sun Coin rewards from killstreaks
-Premium Game and upgrade now convert all costs of swords, crossbows, and amulets permanently into gold from sun coins
Very nearly amazing
Absolutely fantastic game, except for two things. One, the game crashes on suspend, which means you have to start over whenever you have to pause the game, even for a moment. This is really annoying for a mobile game.
Two, the menu system for purchasing weapons and leveling up detracts from the experience of this well crafted atmospheric thriller. Since the first room is used extensively in the game, why not use it to keep track of the player's level? You could have a chalk board in the room with a character sheet drawn (creepily or whatever) on the board. Monsters could occasionally drop pieces of chalk, which would be single use, and the player would use them to "level up." Perhaps the room could even be a different one from the first, so that the player would have to work a little bit to spend the skill points.
As for the "store," again, it pulls you out of the story. Where is this "store" in the game world, anyway? Instead, you could have a crazy guy in some or many rooms around the hospital who like collecting and trading things...maybe bones or something... The game story has a lot to draw on for this kind of thing. Then the player would occasionally trade for items, weapons, perhaps even parts of weapons, to add a crafting aspect to the character development.
Maybe I am expecting too much from an iphone game. On balance, one can't help wishing for just a little bit more from a game this good.
This game really is something else. It's not everyday I come across a game of this magnitude. Stellar graphics, sound, and an intuitive user interface. Seriously a five star worthy game. However, the real killer for me that cost this game its five-star review was the sun coins. First off, half the merchandise can only be purchased with sun coins; which wouldn't be so bad if the sun coins weren't so impossible to come by in the game! Secondly, the only real way to get sun coins it to pay for them. Whether it be through the tap joy services or through an in-game purchase, I have to pay truly ridiculous prices for sun coins. And due to the fact that we need sun coins to do almost anything in this game, we have to pay ridiculous prices to do anything in this game. If anything, just charge an up front cost for the app itself, instead of having people pay in the game. Now, I'm not saying that the sun coins need to no longer be payed for, nor am I even saying that the prices should be reduced. I'm simply asking that the sun coins be turned into a helpful supplement for the game, rather than the necessity they are currently. In conclusion, this app truly should be worthy of five stars and anybody that's interested in this game need only try it out and they will see that this game... Has some rather impressive potential.
Amazing graphics but will not dl full version due to IAP
It's got amazing graphics and an interesting plot so far, but if it takes IAP to actually win the game or even get far in it, if I can't kill the bad guys on my own without IAP or even have fun in the game without heavy grinding, then I am saying to this developer and to all other developers who follow in kind: NO.
I won't support what you are doing.
I will support developers who may charge a little more for a really GOOD game, and it better be good. Give me better graphics, a better plot, challenging levels, interesting ways to earn weapons that do not involve ads or signing up for third-party websites or offers because that disgusts me.
Just give me a good game that doesn't disgust me from a moral standpoint and that makes you as a developer proud.
Then perhaps I will support it with my hard-earned cash.
But I won't give you money and then buy your idiotic IAP like sun coins. Zynga started it and others have followed in their greedy ways. You have lemmings who are clearly always going to buy something. But it's up to the individual consumer to just say no and either not buy the IAP or not buy the game.
In this case, I chose to not buy the game, because of the reviews. Clearly the developer designed the game so that anyone who doesn't purchase the IAP can't enjoy the game or even finish the game without them, unless they do heavy grinding which means they are not enjoying the game.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 09, 2012
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 573 MB
- Languages: English, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Phosphor Games, LLC
- © 2012 Phosphor Games, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPod touch (5th generation).
Top In-App Purchases
- 210 Sun Coins$1.99
- 100 Sun Coins$0.99
- Premium Upgrade$5.99
- 550 Sun Coins$4.99
- 35,000 Gold Pieces$0.99
- 100,000 Gold Pieces$1.99
- 1250 Sun Coins$9.99
- 300,000 Gold Pieces$4.99
- 2,000,000 Gold Pieces$19.99
- 800,000 Gold Pieces$9.99