Dark Sky Finder
By Skidmore Properties, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Get away from the city's bright glow and head out to dark skies, where the Milky Way shines with countless stars overhead.
Dark Sky Finder helps you locate nearby dark skies to take a telescope, watch a meteor shower, or simply relax under the stars. See light pollution maps of the ENTIRE WORLD, along with dots that indicate good observing locations. Anyone can add a good observation site — for instance, a public park with no bright lights — and write a few words about it to help other people in the area looking for a dark location.
++ AS FEATURED IN ASTRONOMY MAGAZINE ++
** KEY FEATURES **
• Light Pollution Map: Overlaid on top of the standard map, satellite, or hybrid. Covers the entire world.
• Dark Sites: Escape to dark skies in over 1,000 locations worldwide. Includes user reviews, directions, and information on sky conditions, important notes, parking, fees, bathrooms, camping, weather, and much more.
• Add a Dark Site: Make a contribution by adding a dark site for everyone to enjoy.
• Clear Sky Charts: Finds the nearest Clear Sky Chart to pull in information on transparency, seeing, and other conditions relevant to telescope observers.
• Bortle Scale: Tap on the map legend to toggle between the Bortle Scale and basic scale. Read more about the Bortle Scale for measuring light pollution in the About tab.
** SUPPORT & FEEDBACK **
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for support or to give feedback on the app. I'll answer quickly, usually in a few minutes to an hour. Feedback is always appreciated!
What's New in Version 2.0
BRAND NEW LIGHT POLLUTION MAPS FOR ENTIRE WORLD!
+ Official parks and reserves of the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA)
+ Hundreds of additional dark site locations added since the app's inception
+ Updated light pollution maps now contain latest data available (big thanks to David Lorenz!)
Very cool app but needs some bug fixes
I am very pleased that I can use this map on an iOS device since it's difficult to control on any other websites that offer this. My problem is that the app will crash about 40%-50% of the time when I try to tap on the info button when a location is selected (I'm using an iPhone 5S running iOS 8.0.2). Another major issue for me is that I don't like how I have to either choose between turning location services on all the time even when app is not running or just turn it off all together (then have to manually turn it on in settings if I want to use it). It would just be nice if I could do like other apps do and just have it running when I open the app. Other than that everything is great. It would also be nice (but not necessary) to allow you to copy the address or gps location so you can copy/paste it into another Maps application like Google Maps or whatever. From personal experience, I try to stay away from Apple Maps solely when I'm driving in unknown rural areas because it has taken me on some strange dirt backroads in the past that it shouldn't have. If you fix the crashing and location services issues then I will surely increase my rating to 5 stars!
Limited by lack of ability to do private locations
A profound weakness in this app is the lack of ability to type in the coordinates of a possible observing location to see how it polluted it looks. This app needs the ability to chose between publishing a location or dropping a pin as part of a search for possible viewing sites. I wrote the publisher about this a year and a half ago and he promised to look into it, but the latest release does not incorporate it. The app requires you to publish the location before it displays it on the map. That's bad for a number of reasons:
1) The location might be on private land and unavailable to the public, so it shouldn't be advertised.
2) The possible location may turn out to be horrible, but now it's officially listed in the app and potentially misleading to users.
3) Some observers like to find secret spots that they like to keep private to avoid crowds. Yet they have to advertise them here.
These weaknesses limit the usability of the app, and the lack of publisher follow through is a disappointment. The app has promise but the current situation warrants a low rating.
Great! Worth a buy!
Awesome app! Would be useful if you could search for a location, other than that great for finding class 1 bortle sites.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Aug 18, 2014
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 39.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Skidmore Properties, LLC
- © 2013 Skidmore Apps
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.