Dash - API Docs & Snippets
By Bogdan Popescu
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
••• Dash is free to download and try out. However, you can purchase Dash using an In-App Purchase •••
Instant search and offline access to any API documentation you may need.
Dash is an API Documentation Browser and Code Snippet Manager. Dash helps you store snippets of code, as well as instantly search and browse documentation for almost any API you might use (for a full list, see below).
Documentation Browser Features:
• Download docsets from CocoaDocs.org, RubyGems.org, Maven.org (Java and Scala), Packagist.org (PHP) and GoDoc.org.
• Supports docsets generated using popular tools like Appledoc and Doxygen.
• Methods are conveniently shown in a special Table of Contents.
• Highlighted in-page search.
• Save bookmarks of your most used documentation pages.
• Create search profiles to easily switch between docsets.
• Easily search specific docsets by defining keyword filters (e.g. start your query with "python:" to search only the Python documentation).
• Integration plugins for: Xcode, Alfred, Quicksilver, LaunchBar, Coda, Espresso, PopClip, Sublime Text, Atom, Chocolat, Emacs, Vim, BBEdit, TextWrangler, TextMate, Eclipse, AppCode, Android Studio, IntelliJ Idea, RubyMine, WebStorm, PhpStorm, PyCharm, Terminal, AppleScript.
• Easily integrate with any other application using the "dash://" URL scheme or the "Look up in Dash" system service.
• Fuzzy search. Don't let misspells get in your way.
• Built for speed. Searching is almost instant.
Snippet Manager Features:
• Collect snippets of code that you reuse often.
• Sync by saving your library in Dropbox.
• Over 80 syntaxes for code highlighting.
• Variable Placeholders can be edited before pasting.
• Abbreviations are expanded wherever you type them.
Special Snippet Placeholders:
• @clipboard expands into the contents of the clipboard.
• @cursor repositions the cursor after expansion.
• @date expands into the current date.
• @time expands into the current time.
• Multi-Touch Gestures.
• Menu item or dock application, always one keyboard shortcut away.
• Users that want to use Dash only as a Snippet Manager or Documentation Browser, can do so.
• Dash will nag and annoy you every now and then, in order to purchase.
What's New in Version 2.2.4
Dash for iOS has been released! Go get it on the iOS App Store.
• Added Lua 5.3 docset
• Better support for the new appledoc docset template
• Better support for the latest OS X and iOS docsets
• You can now switch tabs using CMD+1-9
If you like Dash, please rate it on the Mac App Store or tweet about it. Thank you!
The best developer tool I have ever bought
I do iOS and Mac OS X devlopment for a living, and this is the best developer tool I have ever bought. If you can imagine a lightning fast documentation app where you can search multiple sets of documents and websites at the same time, you’ve got the basic just of it. There are other features I haven’t explored yet.
I highly recommend downloading this and trying it out. I suspect you will quickly pay the $20 for everything.
This is HUGE! A must-have app.
This is my new favorite app by a long shot. I use it daily and it has definitely improved my productivity. I work with many languages throughout the day and being able to search all the docs with just a few keystrokes is invaluable. It’s sooo much faster than pulling up the docs online (which are different for every platform) then trying ot navigate to what I want.
Buy it. You won’t be disappointed.
I use this app at least every 15 minutes to look up some detail about an api. The companion iOS app is great for when on the road and wanting to study a library and some down time is available. Or answering a StackOverflow question.